header artwork

Coming Soon

Saturday 14th January
RAR 255
COVENTRY'S GBG

Meet at Greyhound, Sutton Stop, 12 noon
Sunday 5th February
HW 55
SNOWDROPS AT ALLESLEY

Meet at The Brooklands, Kingsbury Road, 12 noon.
Saturday 18th February
RAR 256
STATFORD TO WELFORD ON AVON

National Express 460 bus departs Pool Meadow Stand B 11:00am arrives Stratford 11:25am (X18 takes 1 hour 35 mins!!)

The No.27 bus leaves Welford at 3:16pm and arrives Stratford 3:29pm (opposite Maypole)
5:50pm arrives 6:12pm
6:09pm arrives 6:46pm

The X18 bus leaves B439 (Binton turn) at 3:19pm arrives Stratford at 3:56pm. This stop is supposedly 20 mins walk from Welford.
3:49pm arrives 4:26pm
4:24pm arrives 5:01pm
4:54pm arrives 5:31pm

The 6:30pm No. 460 National Express arrives Coventry 7:00pm
Saturday 18th March
RAR 257
WELFORD ON AVON TO BIDFORD ON AVON

National Express 460 bus departs Pool Meadow Stand B 11:00am arrives Stratford 11:25am

The 11:54am X18 bus from Stratford arrives B439 (Binton turn) at 12:07pm
Saturday 15th April
RAR 258
BIDFORD ON AVON TO HARVINGTON

National Express 460 bus departs Pool Meadow Stand B 11:00am arrives Stratford 11:25am

The 11:54am X18 bus from Stratford arrives Bidford 12:11pm
dionysus travel advertisementYour Ad Here ?

advertisement

Custom Flash Banners
and Animations
to Advertise
YOUR Business
Contact us for more
information

RAR 234 Wootton

header artwork

As Sharon said when we surveyed this walk, "this is the best walk we have done for some years". Apart from the scenery, natural and man made, we saw lots of wildlife, including flocks of redwings, two herons, mallard, buzzards, kestrels, greenfinch, wagtail, robins and a rabbit !

We meet at 10:15am at Coventry station in order to catch the 10:30 train which arrives in Birmingham New Street at 11:01am.

Then we walk over to Moor Street for the 11:28am. We have to ensure that the guard knows that we want to get off at Wootton Wawen as this is a request stop. After alighting there we walk down to the BULL in 5 minutes. This is an ancient half timbered building.

Leaving the Bull at 12.45pm it is a short walk through the village, past St Peters church, Wootton Hall and the old paper mill, to the canal, where we come to the NAVIGATION at 1:00pm.

We can leave here at 1:30pm when we have to walk a short distance in the wrong direction to get to the bridge where we cross to the towpath side. The towpath takes us over the Wootton aqueduct. At the opposite end you will see the nameplate. We continue through countryside, which gets hillier as we proceed south, until we reach Edstone aqueduct. This is labeled as the longest in England, at 475 feet (Pontcysyllte is 1007 feet but it is in Wales.) At the far end of this aqueduct there is a flight of steps down to a road. We follow the road west, past farms, for about a mile. Just after the junction with Bearley Road we take a track on the right. If we were to follow the waymarks here it would take us through a seasonal pond, so a bit of a diversion is necessary. Then the path meanders through a wooded area, past a fallen signpost, before coming to a gated footbridge over a stream. We walk through water meadows with the river Alne on our left to a point where river, road, railway and path all meet. Under the railway and over the river we come to the access road to a sewage farm. A little way along a gate leads into fields. We pass between the sewage farm and the river, then follow the river upstream to a footbridge. Here we turn away from the river following a grassy track to the main road in the village again, where we are opposite Wootton Hall and St Peters church, which we may wish to visit. Then it is a short walk past the village shop back to the BULL

A SAXON SANCTUARY Following the Anglo Saxon conquest the river Alne region was occupied by a tribe of Angles called the Stoppingas. By the 7th century the Stoppingas had been absorbed into the kingdom of the Hwicca, which itself became a subject kingdom of Mercia. The boundaries of the Hwicca kingdom were preserved until the 16th century as those of the Diocese of Worcester.

In the 7th century Christianity came to Mercia, the Hwicca and the Stoppingas, who were converted by the Celtic missionaries St Cedd and St Chad, who happened to be brothers. In the early 700s King Aethelbald, sub king of the Hwicca, founded the minster (missionary) church at Wootton. Some Saxon parts of St Peters church survive, such as the lower two thirds of the tower, the crossing and the ' Saxon sanctuary '. They are said to be of 10th century or earlier. Hence St Peters claims to be the oldest church in Warwickshire and one of the oldest in England.

WOOTTON HALL was built in 1687 by Francis Smyth, 2nd Viscount Carrington and his arms are carved onto the pediment. Today the grounds are used as a mobile home park, which may seem a pity. However, the roof burnt down during World War Two, the hall then became derelict and was due to be demolished, so the mobile home park has saved what is a very impressive building

WOOTTON PAPER MILL was built by Squire Holford, who had married into the Smyth - Carrington dynasty, along with Wootton Pool and the weirs on the river, between 1780 and 1790

link to previous ramble link to next ramble link to map link to map key go to top of page

HOMEABOUT ME NEWSLIQUID LUNCHESCONTACT MELINKS

NEW REAL ALE RAMBLES
NUNEATONCOVENTRY'S GBGSTRATFORD • WELFORD ON AVON BIDFORD ON AVON

NEW HEALTHY WALKS
UPPER GUPHILL BROOKKENILWORTH COMMON ALLESLEY

DIONYSUS TRAVEL - WALKING HOLIDAYS IN GREECE
NISYROS

PAST RAMBLES BY YEAR
201520142013201220112010200920082007200620052004200320022001
200019991998199719961995

RAMBLES BY LOCATION
ABC D to GH to KL and MNO to RS and TU to Z OTHERS

A HISTORY OF PUBS AND BEERHOUSES IN COVENTRY
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZBEERHOUSES

Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix
All rights reserved. See our Privacy Policy

Valid XHTML 1.0 TransitionalValid CSS!