title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Wyken Pippin Hotel

1983
photo
NAME WYKEN PIPPIN HOTEL
ADDRESS 186 ANSTY ROAD
THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY

FROM TO KNOWN AS
1933 1980 WYKEN PIPPIN
1980 1983 BARNABYS
1983 1986 BUNTER'S
1986 2010 WYKEN PIPPIN
2010 Present COVENTRY OAK

The Wyken Pippin was a variety of apple said to have been raised by Lord Craven from a continental seed and planted at Wyken about 1700. It has been known by other names such as Gerkin Pippin and Pheasant's Eye. A Wyken Pippin tree grew at the rear of the pub at one time.

Known Licensees are;
1933 - 1934 A. J. Stebbings
1935 - 1938 S. Emley
1939 - 1940 F. T. Bull
Charlie Tebbutt (see also Swanswell Tavern, Swanswell Street, Rose and Woodbine, North Street and Ivy Cottage, King William Street)
1960 W. A. Cotton
1986 Paul & Jan Almgill
photo

As the Coventry Oak

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.