title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Woolpack

NAME WOOLPACK
ADDRESS 149 SPON STREET
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES 149 SPON END

The woolpack is a large bale of wool prepared for carriage. It has a weight of 240 pounds.

In 1756 four soldiers were billeted here and in 1767 the pub was advertised for sale. in 1779 there was a curious adverisement in Jobsons Coventry Mercury. it was for a substitute to serve with the 6th Royal Warwickshire Regiment of Foot, about 5' 7" tall, to apply to Mr Thomas Dawson at the Woolpack in Spon St., Coventry. This is how the draft was dodged in those days ! In 1830 it was to let and comprised a bar, kitchen, parlour, four lodging rooms, a large club room, extensive cellaring, a brewhouse, two-stall stable with store room over and piggeries.

In 1891 Phillips and Marriott leased the pub from R. Parker of 17 Church Street, Hereford. In 1907 they purchased it for £1,000.

In 1906 the fact that a suspect was playing darts in the Woolpack at the time was used as an alibi in the Stoke Park murders.

In 1960 the Woolpack 'stands sedately on its own in defiance of Hitler's bombs, as the property on either side was entirely demolished and the inn itself was very badly damaged'. Before the damage was repaired, the pub was propped up at each end. The front was also renovated, including new windows. It was an old coaching inn and some of the bedrooms in 1960 were formerly stables. It was said to contain a well laid out bar, delightful smoke room and large club room.

It closed on 31st May 1970.

Coventry Standard newspaper article from 26th August 1960

Known Licensees are;
1822 - 1823 Thomas Turner
1828 - 1830 Henry Perkins
1835 Mary Turner
1841 - 1845 Mary Rogers
1861 - 1874 Richard F. Parker
1879 - 1881 Charles Griffiths
1886 W. Knibbs
1890 - 1891 Emma Owen
1893 - 1894 W. Harris
1896 Thomas J. Elkington
1900 - 1903 George King
1903 - 1905 William Holt
1905 - 1906 William Hanson
1906 Frederick James Storey
1907 - 1909 John Worrall
1909 William Flathers
1911 - 1913 Thomas Harris
1914 - 1934 Charles Twyneham
1935 - 1938 G. Bonas
1939 - 1960 Arthur Edward Haymes (see above, see also Cheylesmore Inn, Greyfriars Lane in 1935)
photo

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.