Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.
THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY
This name is a reminder of the woodman's former importance. He looked after the forests as well as felled trees.
In 1959 the New Star in Much Park St was closed and the license was transferred to this newly built pub. George Mason former Coventry City player was the first licensee. Later is was renamed the Woodsman. However, the rebranding was a pretty desperate measure and the pub closed just a couple of years later because of structural problems.