The bottom of Burges in 1927, with Well Street in the distance viewed from Hale Street, here showing buildings before the demolition for the new Corporation Street in 1931. The Unicorn occupied the building here shown as W.H. Crofts on the left, and the building on the corner was the Wine Lodge, formerly the Eagle Vaults. See the 1888 town planning map below
|THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY||FROM||TO||KNOWN AS|
|1874||1881||EAGLE VAULTS, 1 Well Street|
|1881||1968||WINE LODGE, 17 Burges|
|1994||present||TUDOR ROSE, 17 Burges|
A place for drinking wine, I guess. Until 1881 this was the EAGLE VAULTS.
In 1874 it was leased by Charles Smith to James Baylis of Halesowen. At some date the lease was transferred to Flowers. The old pub was demolished for the making of Corporation Street c1929 and the new pub was built on its present site c1932.
In 1939 it was photographed as a Trumans pub and on 10th June 1968 it became the TALLY HO.
|Known Licensees are;
1881 J. Baylis
1886 George Armson
1890 - 1891 J. Birch
1894 - 1905 Mrs. Mary A. Birch
1909 - 1913 John Grey
1919 - 1927 Eva Amelia Grey
1939 - 1940 F. R. B. Pye
1874 Charles Smith
Name A place for drinking wine
to 1881 JBS Eagle Vaults
? Ctizen 26.5.1983 Photo
Licensee William & Harriett Hall
27.9.1874 CR 72/1&2 Lease from Charles Smith to James Baylis of Halesowen
? CR 72/3&4 Lease transferred to Flowers
28.8.1878 LJ Vol1 P7 Owner : HectorMacKenzie, 67 King William Street, London
later Truman, Hanbury & Co, Burton on Trent
Licensee : James Baylis
26.4.1883 TOL to George Armson
1.7.1886 TOL to Charles Morrison Riley
4.11.1886 TOL to Thomas Chiton
2.12.1886 TOL to James Birch
5.3.1891 TOL to Mary Ann Birch
1906 OS MAP
1914 Cov Review 15.3.1974 On Plan
1929 Police Removed to new site on Corporation Street
Citizen 26.5.1983 Photo
Demolished when Corporation Street was constructed
c1930 COOPP Photo 16
1935 COCIP P105 Photo
An unusual view looking up the Burges and Cross Cheaping in 1935. On the right stands The Wine Lodge built in 1932. Later names ate The Tally Ho and the Tudor Rose.
3.1951 COCIP P 173 Photo
1939 CWL P9&10 Photo
10.6.1968 Became TALLY HO
? Citizen 26.5.1983 William & Harriett Hall
1878 LJ Vol1 P7 James Baylis
1881 C&B J. Baylis
1883 LJ Vol1 P7 James Baylis
1883 LJ Vol1 P7 George Armson
1886 C&B George Armson
1886 LJ Vol1 P7 George Armson
1886 LJ Vol1 P7 Charles Morrison Riley
1886 LJ Vol1 P7 Thomas Chiton
1886 LJ Vol1 P7 James Birch
1890/91 R&G J. Birch
1891 LJ Vol1 P7 Mary Ann Birch
1893 Reporter M. A. Birch
1894 R&G Mary A. Birch
1896 R&G Mrs Mary A. Birch
1898 LJ Vol1 P7 Mary Ann Birch
1903 R&G Mrs Mary A. Birch
1905 R&G Mrs Mary A. Birch
1909 R&G John Grey
1911/12 Spennell John Grey
1912/13 Spennell John Grey
1919 Spennell Eva Amelia Grey
1921/22 Spennell Eva Amelia Grey
1924 P. James Eva Amelia Grey
1926/27 P. James Eva Amelia Grey
1939/40 P. James F. R. B. Pye
1955/56 Barrett Licensee not named Hotel
1957 Barrett Licensee not named "
1960 Barrett Not listed in street section "
1961 Barrett Not listed in street section "
1962 Barrett Not listed in street section "
1874 CR 72/1&2 Charles Smith
1878 LJ Vol1 P7 HectorMacKenzie, 67 King William Street, London
later LJ Vol1 P7 Truman, Hanbury & Co, Burton on Trent
1939 CWL P10 Truman
Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.