|NAME||WINE AND SPIRITS VAULTS|
|THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY||FROM||TO||KNOWN AS|
|1574||1851||RAM INN, 38 Fleet Street, RAMME, RAM HOUSE INN|
|1841||1841||BEERHOUSE, Smithford Street|
|1851||1866||ROYAL EXCHANGE, Fleet Street|
|1866||1866||WINE & SPIRIT VAULTS, Smithford Street|
|1868||1892||BRITANNIA VAULTS, 38 Fleet Street|
|1868||1868||BRITANNIA MUSIC HALL|
|1874||BRITANNIA THEATRE OF VARIETIES|
|1879||1879||BRITANNIA WINE & SPIRIT VAULTS|
There are references to this pub in 1574 and 1630 as the RAM in recrords held by the Coventry Records Office. It is leased in 1610, 1618 and 1634 by Coventry Corporation, who owned it at the time. In 1770 and 1800 the pub is still there but by 1808 and 1834 the Ram Society, a Friendly Society, was meeting in other pubs.
On the 1851 Health Map it is shown as the ROYAL EXCHANGE, which appears to have been a Music Hall as well as a pub !
In 1841 see the BEERHOUSE, Smithford Street, Dalton
In 1866 the ROYAL EXCHANGE, previously the RAM, was demolished and re-opened as the WINE AND SPIRIT VAULTS. By 1874 this had become the Britannia Theatre of Varieties whilst the licensed premises became known as the BRITANNIA VAULTS
|Known Licensees are;
1610 - 1618 William Gibbons
1634 Thomas Stiffe
1800 Mr Cheslin
1822 - 1823 John Bradshaw
1828 - 1829 James Eaves
1841 - 1850 Absolom Dalton
1851 Mr Miller
1861 Richard Miller
1868 - 1879 James Eaves
1881 William Bennett
1886 R. E. McIntosh
1890 - 1891 J. Dunnicliff
1892 H. H. Askee
1610 - 1634 Coventry Corporation
Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.