title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Windmill

photo
NAME WINDMILL
ADDRESS STYVECHALE
THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1818   WINDMILL
1850 WHITE HOUSE
  1857 WHITE HORSE

This name probably marks the site of a former windmill.

The Windmill was known locally as the WHITE HOUSE because it was painted white. It was a favourite meeting place for watchmakers and a venue for dancing, coursing and cock fighting.

In September 1818 William Law was attacked by Jackson and Carpenter, who ran off past the Windmill. They were caught and William Law was carried to the Windmill where he lay in agonizing pain all night until he died at 9am. the following morning. The inquest was held at the pub.

Known Licensees are;
1845 Baziel Southam

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.