title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The William IV

photo
NAME WILLIAM IV
ADDRESS 65 SPON STREET
THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1756 DUKE WILLIAM
1823 1830 JOINERS ARMS
1831 KING WILLIAM INN
1833 1967 WILLIAM IV, KING WILLIAM IV

William IV (1765 - 1837) was the third son of George III. He joined the navy as a midshipman in 1779 and was soon a captain. He frequently disobeyed the orders of his superiors and violated the rules of discipline so he was never allowed to command a ship. Instead, in 1801 he was promoted to the rank of Admiral of the Fleet.

In 1756, six soldiers were billeted here.

This building was formerly a dye house which was converted to a pub called the JOINERS ARMS. In 1831 it was the KING WILLIAM INN before becoming the William IV. At one time it brewed its own beer as in 1960 the old brewery could be seen at the rear. It closed on 3rd April 1967.

Coventry Standard newspaper article from September 30th 1960

Coventry Standard newspaper article from September 30th 1960

Known Licensees are;
1835 - 1841 Robert Bromley
1850 - 1851 Mary Vallance
1868 Charles Naylor
1871 Richard Matthews pallet maker & licensed victualler
1874 - 1881 A. Turville
1886 - 1891 Samuel Wilcox
1893 J. Bosworth
1894 - 1905 J. Athersuch
1909 Mrs. A. Reid
1911 - 1922 Miss Reid
1924 - 1934 R. Carter
1935 - 1940 C. Twyneham
1957 - 1960 Ted Morgan (see above and also Newdigate Arms, Hill Street in 1957)
photo

+ -
Click here to see Research

Dict PN William IV ( 1765 - 1837 ) was the third son of George III. He joined the navy as a midshipman in 1779 and was soon a captain. He frequently disobeyed the orders of his superiors and violated the rules of discipline, so he was never allowed to command a ship. Instead, in 1801 he was promoted to the rank of Admiral of the Fleet.

1831 See KING WILLIAM INN

Spon P49 The earliest reference I could find to No 65 was Pigots 1835 Directory when it was named afterthe eccentric monarch William IV ( Silly Billy 1820 - 1830 ) ......... an extracr from a deed ofpurchase relating to Thomas Grant says,on 22 nd February, 1833. Conveyanced by a power of appointment to secure £ 800 and interest; from Thomas Dalton of Coventry, silk dyer to Thomas Ford of Coventry, silk dyer ........ Three Houses ( formerly a dye-house being converted into a public house known as the Joiners Arms then as the sign of King William the Fourth ) with outbuildings on the south side of Spon Street.

P50 On 22nd August 1845 the license of the William IV was transferred to George Vallance and the family moved to Spon Street. In 1851 his wife Mary was listed as a publican at the William IV. The pub finally closed its doors on 24th April 1967.

18.5.1855 JA143 CH&O Transfer of license from ? Bateman to ? Boswell

25.9.1867 JA60 CH&O To let by appointment
The above named old-licensed public house with immediate possession.
Coming-in about £ 100. Rent moderate.

9.11.1867 JA141 CS Transfer of license from Patrick Kelly to Charles Naylor

28.8.1878 LJ Vol 1 P46 WILLIAM 4th, Spon Street Alehouse Owner : Thomas Smith, Morrison Villa, Well Tarring, near Worthing, Surrey
later William Robinson, 87 Spon Street
later George Wilson, Acorn Inn
Licensee : Amos Turville
7.7.1881 TOL to Samuel Wilcox
29.10.1891 TOL to William Bosworth
26.10.1893 TOL to John Athersuch
3.7.1882 fined 10/- & costs for opening premises

30.9.1960 Citypubs 11 At one time the William IV brewed its own beer and traces of the old brewery can be seen at the rear of the building.

3.4.1967 Closed

LICENSEES

1835 Pigot Robert Bromley

1841 Pigot Robert Bromley

1841 Census Robert Bromley 40 yo b Wks m Catherine, 40 & 2 kids

1845 Kelly R. C. Marston

1850 CS Mary Vallance

1851 Census Mary Vallance

1855 JA143 CH&O ? Bateman

1855 JA143 CH&O ? Boswell

1867 JA141 CS Patrick Kelly

1867 JA141 CS Charles Naylor

1868 Buchanan C. Naylor

23.11.1868 Lantern Charles Naylor

1871 Census Richard Matthews 35 yo pallet maker & licensed victualler
1874 C&B A. Turville [ b Kenilworth m Elizabeth, 35 & 1 nephew
1878 LJ Vol 1 P46 Amos Turville
1879 Stevens A. Turville

1881 C&B A. Turville
1881 LJ Vol 1 P46 Amos Turville
1881 LJ Vol 1 P46 Samuel Wilcox
1886 C&B Samuel Wilcox

1890/91 R&G Samuel Wilcox
1891 LJ Vol 1 P46 Samuel Wilcox
1891 LJ Vol 1 P46 William Bosworth
1893 Reporter J. Bosworth
1893 LJ Vol 1 P46 William Bosworth
1893 LJ Vol 1 P46 John Athersuch
1894 R&G J. Athersuch

1896 R&G J. Athersuch

1898 LJ Vol 1 P46 John Athersuch
1903 R&G J. Athersuch

1905 R&G J. Athersuch

1909 R&G Mrs A. Reid

1911/12 Spennell Miss Reid

1912/13 Spennell Miss Reid

1919 Spennell Miss Reid

1921/22 Spennell Miss Reid

1924 P. James R. Carter

1926/27 P. James R. Carter

1929 P. James R. Carter

1931/32 P. James R. Carter

1933/34 P. James R. Carter

1935/36 P. James C. Twyneham

1937/38 P. James C. Twyneham

1939/40 P. James C. Twyneham

1957 Citypubs 11 Ted Morgan

1960 Citypubs 11 Ted Morgan

OWNERS

1878 LJ Vol 1 P46 Thomas Smith, Morrison Villa, Well Tarring, near Worthing, Surrey
later LJ Vol 1 P46 William Robinson, 87 Spon Street
later LJ Vol 1 P46 George Wilson, Acorn Inn
1898 LJ Vol 1 P46 George Wilson, Acorn Inn

Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.