title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Whitley Abbey Hotel

photo

Whitley Mill is on a section of river that runs through a change in bedrock and forms a rather lovely section overshaddowed by the inappropriately designed and sited Raquets Centre at Whitley. The bridge once carried the main route into Coventry - before Thomas Telford built the current London Road, it formed part of the main London to Holyhead coaching route. The mill which stood next to the bridge had been unused since the 1880s, but remained occupied until it was demolished in the 1950s. Photo from Colin's Cornucopia

NAME WHITLEY ABBEY HOTEL
ADDRESS ABBEY ROAD
THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1952 1987 WHITLEY ABBEY HOTEL
1987 1994 MYSTERIOUS MONK
1995 1997 CHURCHILL'S

There never was an abbey at Whitley: the name was just a fantasy of the owners. Until the turn of the 19th century, Whitley had its own identity based around a principal grand house which was built in the 14th century. Contrary to popular belief, it was this house which bore the name "Whitley Abbey" and not a monastic residence. Several changes and additions to the house took place over the following centuries until the entire estate was sold in 1924, and the house fell into disrepair.

It was built in 1840 but didn't open as a public house until 1952. The license was transferred from the WALSALL ARMS in Cox Street. By 1982 it was an Ansells Cavalier Steak bar. it was an 'Imposing building set back off the road but rather tatty close up'. Chris Arnott thought it had 'an air of faded grandeur about it....surrounded by an impressive array of trees and waist-high cow parsley'.

On 13th June 1986 it was renamed the MYSTERIOUS MONK, rather ironic as there never had been an abbey there! From c1994 it was CHURCHILLS. By 1996 it had closed and been replaced by housing.

Known Licensees are;
1952 James Simpson
1983 Bob Rose
1985 Mrs. A. Nugent

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.