title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The White Friar Inn

NAME WHITE FRIAR INN
ADDRESS 1 WHITEFRIARS STREET
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES 73 MUCH PARK STREET
THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1793 1960 WHITE FRIAR INN, 1 Whitefriars Street
1835 1850 BEERHOUSE, 73 Much Park Street

This pub got its name from the local monastery. This pub was advertised for sale in 1793. In 1835 see the BEERHOUSE, Much Park Street.

The 1851 Health Map shows two premises called the White Friar opposite each other, a White Friar Tavern on the corner of Whitefriars Street and Much Park Street and a White Friar Public House opposite, at the point where Much Park Street joins London Road. The two continue to co-exist until 1874. I have managed to trace the Whitefriars Tavern back from its closure in 1962 when it was Lynch's to William Westwick in the 1850's and 60's and William Arnold in 1828/29. This was 1 Whitefriars Street / Much Park Street.

Until around 1935 it was a home-brew pub. It was to be sold by auction on 3rd March 1949 and was described as ' The well - known and popular freehold fully-licensed free house'.

It closed in 1960 and was demolished on 21st December 1962 to make way for the London Road section of the ring road.

whitefriars for sale leaflet 1947
Known Licensees are;
1828 - 1829 William Arnold
1841 - 1861 William Westwick
1868 William Standbridge
1871 - 1874 Walter Butler
1879 David Peplow
1881 Selina Peplow
1886 Jones & Neale
1890 - 1891 C. J. Blay
1893 - 1896 A. T. Harris
1903 - 1909 John Lynch
1911 - 1913 William John Lynch
1919 Lily Ann Lynch
1921 - 1940 William John Lynch
Brewers
to 1887 Jones & Neale
1887 - 1898 Albert Taylor Harris
1898 - 1910 John Lynch
1910 - 1935 William John Lynch
photo

On the map of 1888 you can see both pubs opposite each other


+ -
Click here to see Research

Name From the local monastery

1793 JA For Sale

1835 See BEERHOUSE, Much Park Street

1851 Source 49 & 58 Board of Health Map

The 1851 Health Map shows two premises called the White Friar opposite each other, a White Friar Tavern on the corner of Whitefriars Street and Much Park Street and a White Friar Public House opposite, at the point where Much Park Street joins London Road. The two continue to co-exist until 1874. I have managed to trace the Whitefriars Tavern back from its closure in 1962 when it was Lynch's to William Westwick in the 1850's and 60's and William Arnold in 1828/29. This was 1 Whitefriars Street / Much Park Street. Meanwhile William Reading at 76 Much Park Street, who had been a stonemason, opened the White Friar Public House c1851 and continued until c 1874. This premises was called the Old Whitefriar in 1868 !

Why two pubs with the same name so close together ? Had there been a falling out with William Westwick at the White Friar Tavern ?

1851 Source 58 Opposite White Friar PH, London Road

28.8.1878 LJ Vol 1 P36 WHITEFRIAR, Whitefriars Street Alehouse
Owner : Richard Madeley, Bishop Street
Licensee : David Peplow
4.11.1880 TOL to Selina Peplow
2.6.1881 TOL to John Hudson
9.8.1883 TOL to Thomas Jackson
6.12.1883 TOL to David Smith
5.11.1885 TOL to William Henry Jones & Emmanuel Neale
30.6.1887 TOL to John Woodward Samuel
8.3.1888 TOL to Charles James Blay
5.3.1891 TOL to Alfred Taylor Harris
27.10.1898 TOL to John Lynch

1887 COC P52 Cov Times Inn signs

to1935 Friedrich Home Brewery

1949 JA22 Advert - Lynch's

To be sold by auction Wed 30th March 1949

' The well-known and popular Freehold Fully-Licensed Free House '.

c1960 Closed

22.12.1962 CS Demolished for the making of the London Road section of the Ring Road

LICENSEES

1828/29 Pigot Wm Arnold The White Friar, Much Park Street

1841 Census William Westwick 40 yo b Wks m Ann, 40

1850 CS William Westwick White Friars, Whitefriars St

1851 Census William Westwick 54 yo licened victualler b Coventry m Ann, 51 Whitefriars Street

1861 Census William Westwick 64 yo retired publican 3 London Road

1868 Lantern William Standbridge White Friars, Whitefriars St

1868 Buchanan W. Standbridge White Friar, Much Park Street

1871 Census Walter Butler 27 yo licensed victualler b Coventry m Mabel S., 26

73 & 1 White Friar, Much Park Street

1874 C&B W. Butler White Friar, Whitefriars Street
1878 LJ Vol 1 P36 David Peplow Whitefriar, Whitefriars Street
1879 Stevens David Peplow White Friars, 73 Much Park Street
1880 LJ Vol 1 P36 David Peplow Whitefriar, Whitefriars Street
1880 LJ Vol 1 P36 Selina Peplow Whitefriar, Whitefriars Street
1881 C&B Selina Peplow White Friar, Whitefriars Street
1881 LJ Vol 1 P36 Selina Peplow Whitefriar, Whitefriars Street
1881 LJ Vol 1 P36 John Hudson Whitefriar, Whitefriars Street
1883 LJ Vol 1 P36 John Hudson Whitefriar, Whitefriars Street
1883 LJ Vol 1 P36 Thomas Jackson Whitefriar, Whitefriars Street
1883 LJ Vol 1 P36 David Smith Whitefriar, Whitefriars Street
1885 LJ Vol 1 P36 David Smith Whitefriar, Whitefriars Street
1885 LJ Vol 1 P36 William Henry Jones & Emmanuel Neale Whitefriar, Whitefriars Street
1886 C&B Jones & Neale White Friar, Whitefriars Street
1887 LJ Vol 1 P36 William Henry Jones & Emmanuel Neale Whitefriar, Whitefriars Street
1887 LJ Vol 1 P36 John Woodward Samuel Whitefriar, Whitefriars Street
1888 LJ Vol 1 P36 John Woodward Samuel Whitefriar, Whitefriars Street
1888 LJ Vol 1 P36 Charles James Blay Whitefriar, Whitefriars Street
1890/91 R&G C. J. Blay White Friar, Whitefriars Street
1891 LJ Vol 1 P36 Charles James Blay Whitefriar, Whitefriars Street
1891 LJ Vol 1 P36 Alfred Taylor Harris Whitefriar, Whitefriars Street
1893 Reporter A. T. Harris White Friar, 73 Whitefriars Street

1894 R&G A. T. Harris White Friar, Much Park Street

1896 R&G A. T. Harris White Friar, Much Park Street
1898 LJ Vol 1 P36 Alfred Taylor Harris Whitefriar, Whitefriars Street
1898 LJ Vol 1 P36 John Lynch Whitefriar, Whitefriars Street
1903 R&G John Lynch White Friar, Much Park Street

1905 R&G John Lynch White Friar, Much Park Street

1909 R&G John Lynch White Friar, Whitefriars Street

1911/12 Spennell W. J. Lynch White Friar, Much Park Street

1912 CS W. J. Lynch White Friar, Much Park Street

1912/13 Spennell W. J. Lynch White Friar, Much Park Street

1919 Spennell Lily Ann Lynch 1 Whitefriars Street

1921/22 Spennell W. J. Lynch " " "

1924 P. James W. J. Lynch " " "

1926/27 P. James W. J. Lynch " " "

1929 P. James W. J. Lynch " " "

1931/32 P. James W. J. Lynch " " "

1933/34 P. James W. J. Lynch " " "

1935/36 P. James W. J. Lynch " " "

1937/38 P. James W. J. Lynch " " "

1939/40 P. James W. J. Lynch " " "

1955/56 Barrett Licensee not named

1957 Barrett Licensee not named

1960 Barrett Not listed in street section

1961 Barrett Not listed in street section

1962 Barrett Not listed in street section

BREWERS

1887 Friedrich Jones & Neale

1887 - 1898 Friedrich Albert Taylor Harris

1898 - 1910 Friedrich John Lynch

1910 - 1935 Friedrich William John Lynch

OWNERS

1878 LJ Vol 1 P36 Richard Madeley, Bishop Street

Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.