title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The White Swan

photo

Hill Street c1913 (A&G Taylor) Although this view is still recognisable today, with Bond’s Hospital to the right and the Tower of St John’s Church showing over the roof, nothing now remains of the left hand side of the street. The sign is over the 'Newdigate Arms’ with Bond Street being to the left of the children in the foreground. Further down on the left was the 'White Swan Hotel' on the spot now occupied by Bond’s Court (see map below). The street then curved round to the left into Fleet Street at the point where Corporation Street would be built in later years.

NAME WHITE SWAN
ADDRESS 1 HILL STREET

A tavern sign since the fourteenth century, alluding either to the bird itself or a coat of arms which featured it, such as that of Henry VIII or Edward III. It also appears in the arms of the Vintners Company, the Poulterers, the Musicians and the Earls of Essex.

In 1756 four soldiers were billeted here. In 1926 the pub was sold by Charringtons. The new owners didn't get much from it as the pub closed in 1929, the license being surrendered for the removal of the Spotted Dog, Bull Ring, to premises to be erected in Beech Tree Avenue, that is The Newlands.

Known Licensees are;
1822 - 1835 James Tayton
1841 Mary Tayton (or Taylor)
1850 John Tayton
1861 - 1874 Henry Smith
1879 - 1881 Mrs. Mary Ann Smith
1886 - 1891 William Johnstone
1893 - 1896 Mrs. Eliza Eaves
1903 - 1909 S. E. Welby
1911 - 1913 Reginald Jeffery
1919 - 1922 Sidney R. Smith
1924 - 1927 L. C. Jackson
1929 A. Hattery
photo

+ -
Click here to see Research

Dcit PN A tavern sign since the fouteenth century, wither as a direct allusion to the majestice bird itself or a coat of arms which featured it. In the latter role it was much favoured by Henry VIII and Edward III. Swans occur in various coats of arms, such as those of the Vintners Company, the Poulterers Coimpany, the Musicians Company and the Earls of Essex

1756 Alderman Hewitt 4 soldiers billeted

May/June 1774 JA JCM To be sold......a messuage known by the sign of the White Swan....situate near St Johns church

18.12.1843 JA24 CS Ben Toms undertook to drink 15 pints of ale in as many minutes at this pub.In fact he accomplished 16 pints in the alloted time.

1851 Source 49 Board of Health Map - Swan

7.1.1853 JA141 CS Transfer of license from William Woodhouse to Thomas Russell

18.5.1855 JA143 CH&O Transfer of license from John Webb to John Cooper

24.6.1859 JA122 CS Transfer of license from Louisa French to Thomas Hutton ( Swan, Hill Street )

28.8.1878 LJ Vol 1 P44 WHITE SWAN, Hill Street Alehouse
Owner : Mary Ann Smith
later William Johnstone
later Eliza Eaves
later Charrington & Co Ltd, Burton on Trent
Licensee : Mary Ann Smith
6.7.1882 TOL to William Johnstone
26.6.1890 TOL to Eliza Johnstone } same
Eliza Eaves } person 29.7.1897 TOL to William Butler
22.7.1899 TOL to Samuel Eaves Welby

1890 CMCarH P141 VERNON CYCLE & MOTOR CO LTD
..... an interesting partnership that existed between Oliver Perkins and Eliza Cleaver.

Eliza Cleaver ( b 1847 ) was the widow of William Johnson, a watchmaker and landlord of the Smithfield Hotel in Hales Street. When he died in 1890, Eliza continued in the pub trade and was known to have run the White Swan on Hill Street.

2.1926 News 86 Sold by Charringtons

1929 Police License surrendered for removal of Spotted Dog, Bull Ring, to premises to be erected in Beech Tree Avenue ( Newlands )

1929 Closed

c1930 JA24 Demolished c1930 for the construction of Corporation Street

LICENSEES

1822 JA16 & 24 James Tayton

1828/29 Pigot James Tayton

1835 Pigot James Tayton

1841 Pigot Mary Tayton

1841 Census Mary Taylor 72 yop innkeeper NOT b Wks & 3 kids

1845 Kelly Mrs M. Tayton

1850 CS John Tayton

1853 JA141 CS William Woodhouse

1853 JA141 CS Thomas Russell

1855 JA143 CH&O John Webb

1855 JA143 CH&O John Cooper

1859 JA122 CS Louisa French

1859 JA122 CS Thomas Hutton

1861 Census Henry Smith 48 yo b Yelvertoft m Mary Ann, 47 & 2d, 4 lodgers, 1 visitor

1868 Buchanan H. Smith

23.11.1868 Lantern Henry Smith

1871 Census Henry Smith 57 yo b Yelverthorpe, Nth m Mary Ann, 56

1874 C&B H. Smith
1878 LJ Vol 1 P44 Mary Ann Smith
1879 Stevens Mrs Mary Ann Smith

1881 C&B M. A. Smith
1882 LJ Vol 1 P44 Mary Ann Smith
1882 LJ Vol 1 P44 William Johnstone
1886 C&B William Johnstone

1890/91 R&G William Johnstone
1890 LJ Vol 1 P44 William Johnstone
1890 LJ Vol 1 P44 Eliza Johnstone } same
LJ Vol 1 P44 Eliza Eaves } person
1893 Reporter Mrs Eaves

1894 R&G Eliza Eaves

1896 R&G Eliza Eaves
1897 LJ Vol 1 P44 Eliza Eaves
1897 LJ Vol 1 P44 William Butler
1899 LJ Vol 1 P44 William Butler
1899 LJ Vol 1 P44 Samuel Eaves Welby ( related to Eliza Eaves ? )
1903 R&G S. E. Welby

1905 R&G S. E. Welby

1909 R&G S. E. Welby

1911/12 Spennell Reginald Jeffery

1912/13 Spennell Reginald Jeffery

1919 Spennell Sidney R. Smith hotel

1921/22 Spennell Sidney R. Smith "

1924 P. James L. C. Jackson "

1926/27 P. James L. C. Jackson "

1929 P. James A. Hattery

1931/32 P. James Licensee not named. No No1 Hill Street

OWNERS

1878 LJ Vol 1 P44 Mary Ann Smith
later LJ Vol 1 P44 William Johnstone
later LJ Vol 1 P44 Eliza Eaves
later LJ Vol 1 P44 Charrington & Co Ltd, Burton on Trent
1898 LJ Vol 1 P44 Charrington & Co Ltd, Burton on Trent

Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.