title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The White Rose

photo

A postcard featuring the old Market Tower is a rare view of Market Place, which led through from where Broadgate and Cross Cheaping met to the tower, where you could turn left and take Market Street back to Smithford Street. If we are interpreting the map below correctly, The Market Tavern / White Rose is on the left and The Lamp Tavern is on the corner of Market Street to the left in the distance where we would find the Arcade Vaults at No.6 and the Market Vaults at No.22. Photo courtesy of Rob Orland

NAME WHITE ROSE
ADDRESS 19 & 20 MARKET PLACE
THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
? 1841 PACKHORSE, West Orchard
1841 1864 MARKET HALL TAVERN / MARKET HOUSE TAVERN
1864 1874 MARKET TAVERN, 19 & 20 Market Place
1874 1929 WHITE ROSE, 19 & 20 Market Place

This was the badge of the Duke of York (1411 - 1460) and hence of the House of York.

Wilson records this pub as possibly being the PACKHORSE West Orchard and then the MARKET HALL TAVERN/MARKET HOUSE TAVERN IN 1864, when a new license was granted to Isaac Brown who later in 1869, transferred it to R.P. Barber.

The sign must have then become THE WHITE ROSE and C&B records this in 1874, Licensee Henry Sanders. In 1929 the license was surrendered for the rebuilding of the CASTLE VAULTS, Market Place. It closed on 30th September, 1929.

Known Licensees are;
1874 - 1894 Henry Sanders
1896 H. Jephcott
1903 - 1913 Mrs. Emily Green
1919 - 1927 Herbert A. Beaumont
map

Town planning map of 1888


+ -
Click here to see Research

Dict PN The badge of the Duke of York ( 1411 - 1460 ), and of the House of York

JA25 CCA/2/2/183 Deeds 1802 - 1916 relating to property at 19 - 20 Market Street, formerly Women's Market Place, now the CASTLE VAULTS, and formerly the WHITE ROSE INN

28.8.1878 LJ Vol 1 P43 WHITE ROSE, Market Street Alehouse
Owner : Henry Sanders
later Warwick & Richardson, Newark on Trent
Licensee : Henry Sanders
25.10.1894 TOL to William Jephcott
15.4.1897 TOL to Joseph Cotton

1887 COC Cov Times Inn signs

1929 Police License surrendered for the rebuilding of the Castle Vaults, Market Place.

30.9.1929 Closed

LICENSEES

1874 C&B H. Sanders
1878 LJ Vol 1 P43 Henry Sanders
1879 C&B Henry Sanders

1881 C&B H. Sanders

1886 C&B H. Sanders

1890/91 R&G H. Sanders

1893 Reporter H. Sanders

1894 R&G H. Sanders
1894 LJ Vol 1 P43 Henry Sanders
1894 LJ Vol 1 P43 William Jephcott
1896 R&G H. Jephcott
1897 LJ Vol 1 P43 William Jephcott
1897 LJ Vol 1 P43 Joseph Cotton
1898 LJ Vol 1 P43 Joseph Cotton
1903 R&G Emily Green
1905 R&G Emily Green
1909 R&G Emily Green
1911/12 Spennell Mrs E. Green
1912/13 Spennell Mrs Green
1919 Spennell Herbert A. Beaumont
1921/22 Spennell Herbert A. Beaumont
1924 Spennell Herbert A. Beaumont
1926/27 Spennell Herbert A. Beaumont

OWNERS

1878 LJ Vol 1 P43 Henry Sanders
later LJ Vol 1 P43 Warwick & Richardson, Newark on Trent
1898 LJ Vol 1 P43 Warwick & Richardson, Newark on Trent

Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.