title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The White Horse Inn

photo
NAME WHITE HORSE INN
ADDRESS 49 EAST STREET, HARNALL FIELDS
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES HARNALL FIELDS
THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1841 1841 BEERHOUSE, Primrose Terrace
1845 1868 WEAVERS ARMS
1859 1940 WHITE HORSE INN

The White Horse has been in use since the fifteenth century and os common because of its widespread use. It was the symbol of the Kings of Wessex and is the traditional emblem of Kent. A galloping white horse refers to the Hanovers and dates from the accession of George I in 1714. it is also used by several guilds, such as the Carmen, Coachmen, Farriers, Saddlers and Wheelwrights.

This premises had a public house license from c1849. In 1859 this pub was previously referred to as the WEAVERS ARMS. It had a home brewery until c1925 and closed in November 1940, no doubt a victim of the blitz.

Known Licensees are;
1861 - 1868 Henry Pepper
1874 Joseph Hitchens
1879 - 1886 Henry Hewitt
1890 - 1909 Arthur Mason
1911 - 1913 Mrs. Mary Ann Mason
1919 - 1924 Mrs. Lucy Overton
1926 - 1929 D. W. N. Mosley
1931 - 1938 M. H. Greenway
1939 - 1940 George Bonas
Brewers;
to 1877 Joseph Hitchens
1877 - 1887 Henry Hewitt
1887 - 1906 Arthur Mason
1906 - 1910 Mrs Mary Ann Mason
1910 - 1923 Mrs Lucy Overton

+ -
Click here to see Research

Dict PN This sign has been in use since the fifteenth century and remains very frequent because of its widespread heraldic usage. It was adopted by the Kings of Wessex and is the traditional emblem of Kent. A galloping white horse refers heraldically to the House of Hanover, and dates from the accession of George I in 1714.....reflect the occurence of such an animal in the arms of several guilds, namely those of the Carmen, Coachmen, Farriers, Innholders, Saddlers and Wheelwrights.

to 1859 See WEAVERS ARMS

21.4.1859 CR 101.1.456 Previously the WEAVERS ARMS, built by Joseph Shilton. Secured for the Trustees of Coventry Banking Co. ( C. W. Soden, A. J. Soden, S. Vale and R. H. Minster ) to S. Vale and R. H. Minster by mortgage.

28.8.1878 LJ Vol 1 P23 WHITE HORSE, East Street Alehouse
Owner : Wareham, Lower Ford Street
later William Hewitt & Son, 16 Canterbury Street, Coventry
Licensee : William Hewitt
12.12.1878 TOL to Joseph Greehall
5.6.1879 TOL to Henry Hewitt
28.6.1888 TOL to Arthur Mason
28.8.1880 fined 5/- & costs for Sunday trading

1887 COC P56 Cov Times Inn signs

c1900 News 85 Photo

1906 OS Map

to 1925 Friedrich Home brewery

15.11.1940 Closed - destroyed in blitz
License transferred to White Horse, Broadpark Road, which opened in 1961.

LICENSEES

49 East Street: premises not named

1861 Census Henry Pepper 43 yo b Coventry m Mary, 30 & 2d, 1s

1868 Buchanan H. Pepper

1871 Census Henry Pepper 57 yo b Coventry m Mary, 39 & 2s, 1d

1874 C&B J.Hitchens
1878 LJ Vol 1 P23 William Hewitt
1878 LJ Vol 1 P23 Joseph Greehall
1879 LJ Vol 1 P23 Joseph Greehall
1879 LJ Vol 1 P23 Henry Hewitt
WTC Henry Hewitt

1879 Stevens Henry Hewitt

1886 C&B Henry Hewitt
1888 LJ Vol 1 P23 Henry Hewitt
1888 LJ Vol 1 P23 Arthur Mason
1890/91 R&G Arthur Mason

1893 Reporter Arthur Mason

1894 R&G Arthur Mason
1898 LJ Vol 1 P23 Arthur Mason
1896 R&G Arthur Mason

1903 R&G Arthur Mason

1905 R&G Arthur Mason

1909 R&G Arthur Mason

1911/12 Spennell Mrs Mason

1912/13 Spennell Mrs Mason

1919 Spennell Mrs Overton

1924 P. James Mrs Overton

1926/27 P. James D. W. N. Mosley

1929 P. James D. W. N. Mosley

1931/32 P. James M. H. Greenway

1933/34 P. James M. H. Greenway

1935/36 P. James M. H. Greenway

1937/38 P. James M. H. Greenway

1939/40 P. James George Bonas

BREWERS

1877 Friedrich Joseph Hitchens

1877 Friedrich Henry Hewitt

1887 Friedrich Henry Hewitt

1887 Friedrich Arthur Mason

1906 Friedrich Arthur Mason

1906 Friedrich Mrs Mary Ann Mason ( Source 41 daughter of William Hewitt senior )

1910 Friedrich Mrs Mary Ann Mason

1910 Friedrich Mrs Lucy Overton
1914 WB P20 Mrs Lucy Overton

1923 WB P20 Mrs Lucy Overton

1923 Friedrich Mrs Lucy Overton

OWNERS

1878 LJ Vol 1 P23 Wareham, Lower Ford Street
later LJ Vol 1 P23 William Hewitt & Son, 16 Canterbury Street, Coventry
? Source 41 William Hewitt senior
1898 LJ Vol 1 P23 William Hewitt & Son, 16 Canterbury Street, Coventry

Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.