|ADDRESS||29 BAYLEY LANE|
|ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES||HAY LANE, HIGH STREET|
|The White Horse has been in use since the fifteenth century and is common because of its widespread use. It was the symbol of the Kings of Wessex and is the traditional emblem of Kent. A galloping white horse refers to the Hanovers and dates from the accession of George I in 1714. It is also used by several guilds such as the Carmen, Coachmen, Farriers, Saddlers and Wheelwrights.
The first mention we have for this pub is in a will of 1689, when a messuage near to the Whhite Horse was bequeathed. It then sppears on Bradford's map of 1748-9 and in 1756 eight soldiers were billeted here. In 1992 Castle Yard was opened up as part of a restoration scheme. It stood next to St. Mary's Hall in Bailey Lane and was previously called White Horse Yard. This yard was mentioned in 1410-11 when it was referred to as 'castelbachous'. During an excavation in 1992 the castle bakehouse was found there.
The inn itself stood at the end of a narrow lane alongside St. Mary's Hall. it closed c1932.
|Known Licensees are;
1689 Thomas Combley
1773 Mr Burrows
1774 John Rew
1822 - 1823 W. Rodgers
1826 - 1835 Robert Hall
1841 - 1851 Richard Nightingale
1868 - 1871 John Whittem Loveitt
1874 - 1894 Walter Ashbourne
1896 George E. Taylor
1903 - 1913 Mrs. Ann Rose
1919 Clifford Hewitt
1921 - 1922 W. Davey
1924 - 1934 A. Sheffield
Dict PN The White Horse has been in use since the fifteenth century and is common because of its widespread use. It was the symbol of the Kings of Wessex and is the traditional emblem of Kent. A galloping white horse refers to the Hanovers and dates from the accession of George I in 1714. It is also used by several guilds, such as the Carmen, Coachmen, Farriers, Saddler and Wheelwrights.
1689 JA25 CCA/2/3/265/5 Will of Gabriel Cathernes of Whitmore Park dated 11.9.1689 whereby testator bequeaths a messuage et al at Hay Lane near the WHITE HORSE. Liensee Thomas Combley.
1748 - 1749 Bradford Map Pepper Lane / Gaol Lane / St Michaels area
1748 JA10 Wilson Survey ( Bradford's map ) shows three inns; Crown & Anchor, later the Bull & Anchor, Bishop Street; Green Dragon, Smithford Street; White Horse, Hay Lane
1756 Alderman Hewitt 8 soldiers billetted
1763 SEF P15 An infamous villain called Thomas Walker, alias Wright, had been staying at the White Horse ( an inn at the end of the narrow lane between St Mary's Hall and the timbered building that is now Castle Yard in Bayley Lane ).
1768 JA34 JCM Robbery at White Horse
5.4.1773 JA34 Weekly Chronicle To let.....house known by the sign of the White Horse in Hay Lane ....and now in the tenure of James Burrows
5.4.1773 JA34 Weekly Chronicle James Burrows, late of the White Horse, informing public that he has taken and entered the well known inn the sign of the Black Bull in High Street.
May 1774 JA34 JCM John Rew from the White Hart in High Street having taken the White Horse Inn, Hay Lane, late in the tenure of Mr Burrows.
COVHC P17 Next to St Mary's Hall stands Castle Yard: it used to be called White Horse Yard, named after an inn which stood on this spot. An excavation was carried out here, and the castle bakehouse was discovered. The yard was mentioned in 1410 - 1411 when it was refered to as ' castelbachous '.
28.8.1878 LJ Vol 1 P1 WHITE HORSE, Bailey Lane
Owner : Joseph Neale, Coventry
later Walter Ashbourne
Licensee : Walter Ashbourne
3.1.1896 TOL to George Edward Taylor
c1890 Source 43 White Horse, Pepper Lane, mentioned in list of pubs
COVHG P109 Castle Yard opened in 1992 as part of a building programme and restoration scheme. This is part of the site of Coventry Castle, a building with a short and violent history. The buildings on the right once formed part of the White Horse Inn, to which this entrance lead.
1689 JA25 CCA/2/3/265/5 Thomas Combley
1773 JA34 Weekly Chronicle Mr Burrows
1774 JA34 JCM John Rew
1822/23 Pigot W. Rodgers
1828/29 Pigot Robt Hall
1835 Pigot Robert Hall
1841 Pigot Richard Nightingale
1845 Kelly R. Nightingale
1850 COS Richard Nightingale
1851 Census Richard Nightingale 48 yo b Coventry m Elizabeth, 45
23.11.1868 Buchanan John Whittem Loveitt
1871 Census John W. Loveitt 40 yo innkeeper b Coventry m Eliza, 33 & 1s,
1874 C&B W. Ashbourne [ 1 mother, 2 servants
28.8.1878 LJ Vol 1 P1 Walter Ashbourne
1879 Stevens Walter Ashbourne
1881 C&B W. Ashbourne
1886 C&B W. Ashbourne
1890/91 R&G W. Ashbourne
1893 Reporter W. Ashbourne
1894 R&G W. Ashbourne
3.1.1896 LJ Vol 1 P1 George Edward Taylor
1896 R&G George E. Taylor
1898 LJ Vol 1 P1 George Edward Taylor
1903 R&G Ann Rose
1905 R&G Ann Rose
1909 R&G Ann Rose
1911/12 Spennell Mrs Rose
1912/13 Spennell Mrs Rose
1914 Source 51 F. W. Swinnerton
1919 Spennell Clifford Hewitt
1921/22 Spennell W. Davey
1924 P. James A. Sheffield
1926/27 P. James A. Sheffield
1929 P. James A. Sheffield
1931/32 P. James A. Sheffield
1933/34 P. James A. Sheffield
28.8.1878 LJ Vol 1 P1 Joseph Neale, Coventry
later LJ Vol 1 P1 Walter Ashbourne
Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.