title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The White Hart Inn

photo

The White Hart Inn was demolished on 21st December 1962 to make way for the London Road section of the ring road

NAME WHITE HART INN
ADDRESS 52 MUCH PARK STREET
THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1747 1756 QUEEN'S HEAD
1783 1959 WHITE HART INN

The earliest examples of this common sign coincide with the beginning of the reign of Richard II in 1377 and it was that monarch's heraldic symbol. The hart is the male deer and by latter centuries it became almost a generic term for a tavern.

In 1844 this pub was leased by W. Westwick to J. Forster for £27 10s 0d per annum. It closed in c1959 and was demolished on 21st December 1962 to make way for the London Road section of the ring road.

Known Licensees are;
1822 - 1823 R. Arnold
1835 David Brickland
1841 - 1844 William Shepherd
1844 - 1874 Jonathan Foster
1879 - 1881 Henry Kemp
1886 - 1896 G. Prescot
1903 Walter Sykes
1905 H. J. Hinson
1909 - 1911 William Kelley
1912 - 1913 Mrs. Kelley
1919 Herbert Watts
1921 - 1922 T. L. Silvester
1926 - 1927 W. F. Stanton
1929 - 1932 P. W. Burley
1933 - 1938 W. G. Knowles
1939 - 1940 E. Carey

+ -
Click here to see Research

18.8.1783 JA JCM Previously was the QUEENS HEAD

Dict PN The earliest instances of this very common sign coincide with the beginning of Richard II's reign in 1377, and it was that monarch's heraldic symbol. it would have been a sound move on the part of tavern keepers to show their allegiance by displaying it. It had the advantage in any case of being a highly distinctive visual symbol at a time when the hart, the male deer, was passinly more familiar to the average person than it is today.

The continued use of White Hart signs in later centuries is explained by its having become a generic term for a tavern.

c1800 COC P43 Mentioned in Napoleonic Poem

20.11.1828 CH&O Inquest held here

17.5.1844 CR 101/8/624 Leased by W. Westwick on behalfof S. Miles to J. Forster for
£ 27/10/- p.a. ( late;y occupied by W. Shepherd, now by J. Forster. )

1851 Source 49 Board of Health Map

28.8.1878 LJ Vol 1 P51 WHITE HART, Much Park Street Alehouse
Owner : Charles Sumner, Cope Street
later of Warwick Road
later of Allesley Old Road
Licensee : Alexander warden
1.5.1879 TOL to Henry Kemp
17.1.1884 TOL to George Prescott

1887 COC P56 Cov Times Inn signs

c1959 Closed

21.12.1962 CS Demolished for making London Rd section of Ring Road

LICENSEES

1822/23 Pigot R. Arnold

1828/29 Pigot Robt Arnold

1835 Pigot David Brickland

1841 Pigot William Shepperd

1844 CR 101/8/624 W. Shepherd

1844 CR 101/8/624 J. Forster

1845 Kelly J. Foster

1850 CS Johnathan Foster

1851 Census Johnathan Foster 40 yo b Stoneleigh m Elizabeth, 42

1861 Census Johnathan Foster 50 yo b Stoneleigh m Elizabeth, 56 & 2d, 1 servant

1868 Buchanan J. Foster

23.11.1868 Lantern Johnathan Foster
1871 Census Johnathan Foster62 yo b Stoneleigh m Selina, 54 & 1 step-s, 1 step-d

1874 C&B J. Foster
1878 LJ Vol 1 P51 Alexander Warden
1879 LJ Vol 1 P51 Alexander Warden
1879 LJ Vol 1 P51 Henry Kemp
1879 Stevens Henry Kemp

1881 C&B H. Kemp
1884 LJ Vol 1 P51 Henry Kemp
1884 LJ Vol 1 P51 George Prescott
1886 C&B G. Prescot

1890/91 R&G G. Prescot

1893 Reporter G. Prescot

1894 R&G G. Prescot

1896 R&G G. Prescot
1898 LJ Vol 1 P51 George Prescott
1903 R&G Walter Sykes

1905 R&G H.J. Hinson

1909 R&G W. Kelley

1911/12 Spennell William Kelley

1912/13 Spennell Mrs Kelley

1919 Spennell Herbert Watts

1921/22 Spennell T. L. Silvester

1926/27 P. James W. F. Stanton

1929 P. James P. W. Burley

1931/32 P. James P. W. Burley

1933/34 P. James W. G. Knowles

1935/36 P. James W. G. Knowles

1937/38 P. James W. G. Knowles

1939/40 P. James E. Carey

OWNERS

1878 LJ Vol 1 P51 Charles Sumner, Cope Street
later of Warwick Road
later of Allesley Old Road
1898 LJ Vol 1 P51 Charles Sumner, Cope Street

Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.