Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.
The White Hart
The earliest examples of this common sign coincide with the beginning of the reign of Richard II in 1377 and it was that monarch's heraldic symbol. The hart is the male deer and by latter centuries it became almost a generic term for a tavern.
In 1756 four soldiers were billeted here. In 1763 there is a lease of a property bounded by the White Hart. In 1774 the yearly rent charged for the pub was £4 16s 0d and in 1778 there is mention of ground adjoining it.