title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The White Bear Hotel

NAME WHITE BEAR HOTEL
ALTERNATIVE NAMES BEAR
ADDRESS ST JAMES LANE
THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1960 2011 WHITE BEAR
2011 BEAR

This is a heraldic reference to the Earls of Kent. It was also the name of a galleon in Drake's squadron at the attack on Cadiz in 1587.

The White Bear opened on 6th July 1960. In 1982 this was a 'popular estate pub, catering for younger clientele'. By 2011 it was called 'THE BEAR' and was allowed to keep its license despite a string of mass brawls, under-age drinking and drug dealing. The police had called for it to be closed down. It was being run by Boota Johal of GK Investments Ltd., who took over the pub from Enterprise Inns in April of that year. They had submitted a planning application to the council to turn the pub into an off-license and restaurant.

By the end of 2011 it had been converted to a supermarket

Known Licensees are;
1960 Edward Millington
2011 Boota Johal
Owners;
to 2011 Enterprise Inns
2011 GK Investments Ltd.

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.