title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Wheelwright's Arms

the bell
NAME WHEELWRIGHTS ARMS
ADDRESS TILE HILL
THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1850 1850 WHEELWRIGHTS ARMS
1856 present THE BELL INN, BELL IN THE TREE

Presumably there was a wheelwright's premises somewhere near in former times. The Company of Wheelwrights dates from 1669.

In 1853 this pub was used for auctions. It was later renamed the BELL

Known Licensees are;
1850 Thomas Chattaway & carrier
+ -
Click here to see Research

Dict PN The Worshipful Company of Wheelwrights dates as a livery company from 1669.

1850 JA3 & 16 White In 1850 Thomas Chattaway is licensee of the WHEELWRIGHTS ARMS, Tile Hill. This was renamed the BELL.

16.9.1853 JA CS Used for auctions

LICENSEES

1850 White Thomas Chattaway

1850 Lascelles Thomas Chattaway & carrier

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.