title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Wheel Tavern

photo

Trams at Priestley Bridge Depot on the Leicester Causeway

NAME WHEEL TAVERN
ADDRESS LEICESTER CAUSEWAY
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES LEICESTER ROW
THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1800 1890 WHEEL TAVERN
1890 1932 OLD WHEEL TAVERN

Possibly something to do with a wheelwright's workshop?

This pub is thought to date back to at least 1800 when it was known as the WHEEL TAVERN. In 1839 it was advertised for sale.

In 1844 the inquest into the death of seventeen month old Emma Golsby was held at the Wheel Tavern. The inquest's verdict was that Emma Golsby was the victim of wilful murder. The pub became the Old Wheel tavern in 1890. The OLD WHEEL TAVERN closed on 28th February 1932 on the payment of compensation.

Known Licensees are;
1822 - 1823 S. Gough
1835 Thomas Cooper
1841 Thomas Farr
1850 - 1851 Elihah Dalton
1861 - 1874 James Vickers
1879 - 1881 William J. Smith
1886 J. Stringer
1890 - 1903 Joseph Vickers
1905 - 1913 Robert H. C. Wells
1919 - 1922 Herbert Tyler
1924 - 1929 P. Cross
1931 - 1934 J. W. Chislett
photo

Town planning map from 1888

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.