title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Welch Harp

market street

Market Street c1940

NAME WELCH HARP
ADDRESS 22 MARKET STREET
THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1832 1835 HARP
1845 1881 WELCH HARP
1886 1925 MARKET VAULTS, 22 Market Street, MARKET (HALL) TAVERN, HOLE IN THE WALL
The Welch harp was an early form of harp with three rows of strings, used on pub signs because of its distinct shape and perhaps the licensee's connection with Wales. Welch is an early spelling of Welsh before the latter spelling became standardised.

In 1832 this was just a liquor shop but In 1835 it was referred to as just the HARP. Later the sign had become the WELCH HARP. On 25th December 1925 this pub closed after payment of compensation. At the time of closure it was owned by Phipps of Northampton.

Known Licensees at the HARP are;
1835 Robert Shaw

Known Licensees at the WELCH HARP are;
1850 - 1851 George Lockington
1861 - 1868 William Brown
1871 - 1881 Lidia Brown

Known Licensees at the MARKET VAULTS are;
1886 - 1896 J. Phillips
1903 - 1927 Frederick W. Allard

map
+ -
Click here to see Research

Dict PN An early form of harp with three rows of strings, used on signboards for its distinctive shape and as a symbol of the innkeeper's connection with Wales. the harp has long been used as a solo instrument in Wales, far more so than in other parts of Britain. ' Welch ' is one of the many early spellings of the word ' Welsh ' before it became stadardised.

before 1835 See HARP

1851 Source 49 Board of Health Map

28.8.1878 LJ Vol1 P4 Owner : William Choke, Syston, Leicestershire
later W. H. Nightingale, Coventry
Licensee : Lydia Brown
31.11.1891 TOL to James Phillips

1925 - 1926 Source 17 Phipps 2nd Ledger

Welsh Harp ( Market Vaults ), Coventry

( 1925 - 1926 )

See MARKET VAULTS ( 22 Market Street )
1886 - 1896 J. Phillips
1903 - 1926/7 Frederick W. Allard

1925 Police Closed upon payment of compensation ( Market Vaults )

25.12.1925 Closed ( Market Vaults )

LICENSEES

1845 Kelly C. Lockington

1850 COS George Lockington

1851 Census George Lockington 42 yo b Dunchurch m Lydia, 40 Market Place

1861 Census William Brown 51 yo chelsea pensioner m Lydia, 50 & 1s

1868 Buchanan W. Brown

23.11.1868 Lantern William Brown

1871 Census Lydia Brown 60 yo b Burbage widow & 1 neice, 1 son-in-law

1874 C&B L. Brown
1878 LJ Vol1 P4 Lydia Brown
1879 Stevens Mrs Brown beerhouse license

1881 C&B L. Brown

FROM 1886 CALLED THE MARKET VAULTS ( 22 Market Street )
1891 LJ Vol1 P4 Lydia Brown
1891 LJ Vol1 P4 James Phillips

1898 LJ Vol1 P4 James Phillips

OWNERS

1878 LJ Vol1 P4 William Choke, Syston, Leicestershire
later W. H. Nightingale, Coventry

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.