title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Waterloo Tavern

NAME WATERLOO TAVERN
ADDRESS 41 BROOK STREET
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESS 29 BROOK STREET according to the directory of F. White and Co.'s Warwickshire, dated 1874.

The place where this famous battle was fought is a small town in Brabant, twelve miles south of Brussels in Belgium. The British and Prussian forces under the Duke of Wellington and Blucher together with Dutch and Belgian troops defeated Napoleon's French army. Napoleon abdicated four days after.

In 1858 and 1859 inquests were held at this pub. It is also mentioned in the Coventry Standard in 1862 and 1865. The Waterloo Tavern closed on 10th July 1971.

Known Licensees are;
1861 Catherine Belford ( 29 Brook Street - pub not named )
1862 - 1879 James Bullock Evans
1879 - 1880 Mrs. CatherineEvans
1880 - 1884 John Horley
1884 - 1898 Edward Summers
1898 - 1905 John ( Jack ) Morley
1907 - 1909 John Allen
1910 - 1927 Arhur Fennell
1928 - 1932 Arthur Henry Hitchins
1932 Herbert Burnett
1933 - 1934 H. ( W. ) Winterburn
1935 - 1959 William J. Hulm

Owners
1878 James Bullock Evans
1898 John Smith, Coventry
map

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.