title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Waterloo Bar

photo

Bayley Lane from Pepper Lane in 1932. The Toby's Head pub is the one in the foreground on the right. We can just make out the gable of the Golden Cross beyond. The Old County Court still survives as the last building on the left before the cathedral and is now a bar-cum-eatery called The Establishment.

NAME WATERLOO BAR
ALTERNATIVE NAMES WATERLOO NEWS AND COFFEE ROOM
ADDRESS 3 PEPPER LANE
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES BROADGATE, HIGH STREET

The place where this famous battle was fought is a small town in Brabant, twelve miles south of Brussels in Belgium. The British and Prussian forces under the Duke of Wellington and Blucher together with Dutch and Belgian troops defeated Napoleon's French army. Napoleon abdicated four days after.

This pub started as the Waterloo News and Coffee Room on the High Street. It is believed that the Waterloo stood opposite the TOBYS HEAD, which was No 1 Pepper Lane. (the numbering of Pepper Lane was not the conventional odds on one side, evens on the other)

Known Licensees are;
1886 Mrs. Jephcott
1893 - 1896 Arthur Russell
1903 Robert Herbert
1905 F. Morgan
1909 - 1912 G. T. Ayres

+ -
Click here to see Research

Dict PN The place where this famous battle was fought in 1815 is a small town in Brabant, twelve miles south of Brussels, in Belgium. The British and Prussian forces, under the Duke of Wellington and Blucher, together with some Dutch and Belgian troops, defeated Napoleon's French army. Napoleon abdicated four days after the battle. This was a British victory on land to match Nelson's superb achievement at Trafalgar ten years earlier.

JA Opposite Tobys Head

WATERLOO NEWS & COFFEE ROOMS, High Street

Toby's Head, No 1 Pepper Lane, also started before 1726 as a Coffee House. ( numbering not odds on one side, evens on other )

29.11.1850 JA Sale at Waterloo News and Coffee Rooms

28.8.1878 LJ Vol1 P25 BOARD, Pepper Lane Alehouse ( Waterloo Bar )
Owner : Mrs Horsfall, Coventry
later Mary Jephcott, Tile Hill, Nr Coventry
Licensee : William Johnson & Jeremiah Mason
22.4.1886 TOL to Francis Jephcott
3.11.1887 TOL to William Jephcott
19.4.1888 TOL to Alfred Prior
26.6.1890 TOL to Arthur Reersell
27.10.1898 TOL to Daniel Fisher
18.4.1899 TOL to George Arthur Maley

1887 COC Cov Times Inn signs

LICENSEES

1878 LJ Vol1 P25 William Johnson & Jeremiah Mason
1886 LJ Vol1 P25 William Johnson & Jeremiah Mason
1886 LJ Vol1 P25 Francis ( Frances ? ) Jephcott
1886 C&B Mrs Jephcott
1887 LJ Vol1 P25 Francis ( Frances ? ) Jephcott
1887 LJ Vol1 P25 William Jephcott
1888 LJ Vol1 P25 William Jephcott
1888 LJ Vol1 P25 Alfred Prior
1890 LJ Vol1 P25 Alfred Prior
1890 LJ Vol1 P25 Arthur Russell
1893 Reporter A. Russell

1894 R&G Arthur Russell

1896 R&G Arthur Russell
1898 LJ Vol1 P25 Arthur Russell
1898 LJ Vol1 P25 Daniel Fisher
1899 LJ Vol1 P25 George Arthur Maley
1903 R&G Robert Herbert

1905 R&G F. Morgan

1909 R&G G. T. Ayres

1909 R&G G. T. Ayres

OWNERS

1878 LJ Vol1 P25 Mrs Horsfall, Coventry
later LJ Vol1 P25 Mary Jephcott, Tile Hill, Nr Coventry
1898 LJ Vol1 P25 Mary Jephcott, Tile Hill, Nr Coventry

Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.