|NAME||WAGON AND HORSES|
|ADDRESS||7 WELL STREET|
|THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY||FROM||TO||KNOWN AS|
|1841||1850||WAGON AND HORSES|
|1850||1929||OLD WAGON AND HORSES|
Goods were carried all over the country by horse-drawn wagons before the advent of the railways. Many inns acted as agents and goods could be left there for sending onwards or for collection by the local people to whom they were addressed. Even after the arrival of the railways, wagons and horses continued to be a familiar sight in most areas as they carried goods or farm produce for short distances.
In 1913 this pub was leased by Phillips and Marriott for £30 per annum. They purchased it c1914 for £1775 for the pub and one cottage with a further £120 for a second cottage.
|Known Licensees are;
1841 William Sheppard
1841 - 1851 Joseph Sheppard
1861 - 1874 Mrs. Mary Ann Sheppard
1879 John Smith
1886 - 1894 J. Killen
1896 Thomas Hennesey
1903 A. Morris
1905 - 1914 Charles Popper
1917 - 1919 Alfred James Chattaway
1920 - 1929 Charles Popper
c1914 - 1920 Phillips and Marriott
Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.