title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Volunteer

29, Cross Cheaping. Coventry. The Coventry Cross. P.H.
NAME VOLUNTEER
ALTERNATIVE NAMES COVENTRY CROSS
ADDRESS BURGES
THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1792 1803 BREWER'S ARMS*/ TWO BREWERS*
1864 1868 VOLUNTEER
1868 present COVENTRY CROSS

This name refers to various volunteer regiments, especially those in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries during the wars with France, when Napoleon was threatening to invade.

*There is mention of the BREWER'S ARMS (also referred to as theTWO BREWERS) at the bottom of Cross Cheaping in the Coventry Mercury of 20th August 1792. In 1803 it appears to have closed. Wether the BREWER'S ARMS became the VOLUNTEER and then the COVENTRY CROSS has not yet been established.

Known Licensees are;
1868 William Whitehead

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.