title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Vauxhall Tavern

photo

By rhe early 1990's the pub now on the junction of Day's Lane and Vauhall Street had closed. Its shallow relief brick with stonework pilasters suggest the early years of the 20th century to me, so it is not the original building. It has now become student accommodation.

NAME VAUXHALL TAVERN
ADDRESS 46 DAYS LANE, HILLFIELDS
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES EAST STREET, VAUXHALL TERRACE
THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1851 1851 BRICKMAKERS ARMS
1861 c1991 VAUXHALL TAVERN

This pub is shown as the BRICKLAYERS ARMS on the 1851 Health Map on the site of the later VAUXHALL TAVERN which can be seen on the Town Planning map of 1888 below

Hillfields developed from 1846 on, starting from King William Street. Since the Vauxhall was in outer Hillfields, the earliest reference I have to the pub is 1861. As the suburb developed it encircled a large private estate. The estate can be seen on the Ordnance Map of 1889 occupyng the area from Raglan Street and Days Lane to Yardley Street, Berry Street and Vernon Street. Whilst Day's Lane was already in existence, it was only built up on the south side, which included the Vauxhall Tavern. The large house at the centre of this estate was called 'Vauxhall Cottage' and the pub stood opposite the drive to this house. This drive later became Vauxhall Street.

The name Vauxhall came from a part of Lambeth in London, so called from the lord of the manor in the early 13th century called Falkes De Breaute, who was a supporter of King John. His house was Falkes Hall, later Fulkes Hall and hence Vauxhall. In 1661 gardens were laid out as a pleasure resort which provided refreshment, musical entertainment, fireworks, displays of pictures and statuary etc. and at night it was lit by over 1,000 lamps. By the time of Pepys's diary, it had become Fox Hall and it is a short step from there to 'Vauxhall'. The gardens are refered to by Dickens and Thackeray, by which time they seemed decidedly unsavoury and they closed in 1859.

I have never seen any reference to the gardens in Hillfields being open to the public. Perhaps the owner was so pleased with his provincial garden that he decided to style the name of his property after the famous gardens in London. The pub was the Vauxhall because it stood opposite the entrance to this private estate.

Between 1861 and 1934 the license was held by just three families: from 1861 to 1886 by Samuel Smith, from 1890 to 1922 by various members of the Tipping family and from 1924 to 1934 by S. Hyde.

Known Licensees are;
1858 Henry Freeman
1858 - 1886 Samuel Smith
1890 - 1903 Mrs Jane Tipping
1905 - 1913 John Tipping
1919 - 1922 Mrs. Lily Tipping
1924 - 1934 S. Hyde
1935 - 1940 F. J. Toney
1985 Richard & Edwina Broyd

map


+ -
Click here to see Research

Brewers Dict PF Vauxhall
A part of lambeth, London, ao calledfrom Falkes de Breaute who was Lord Mayor in the early 13th century

Vauxhall Gardens
A very popular resort for Londoners, first laid out in 1661 as Spring Gardens and was finally closed in 1859. Pepys refers to it as Fox Hall. It finds mention in the Spectator, Dicken's sketches by Boz, Thackeray's Vanity Fair, etc. It provided ample refreshment, musicval entertainment, fireworks, displays of pictures and stauary etc. and at night was lit by over 1,000 lamps.

Dict PN An area of London where the pleasure resort of Vauxhall Gardens stood between the mid seventeenth century and the midnineteenth century. References to them by Thackeray and others show that the gardens had become decidedly unsavoury before they closed. The name derives from a 'hall belonging to Falkes ', who was a supporter of King John in the thirteenth century

See LOST PUBS No 18

1851 Source 49 Board of Health Map. BRICKMAKERS ARMS on this site

7.5.1858 JA16 CS Transfer of license from Henry Freeman to Samuel Smith

28.8.1878 LJ Vol 1 P41 VAUXHALL TAVERN, Days Lane Alehouse
Owner : Rebecca Warden, Days Lane
later Robert Choules, Coventry
later Northampton Brewery Co Ltd
Licensee : Samuel Smith
2.12.1886 TOL to Jane Tipping

1905 OS Map Not mentioned !

1982 WRAG 3 A largely modernised pub close to the football ground.Once typically Watneys, now typically Manns

1985 CCRAG A large drinking pub in a redevelopment area which is hard to get to at present as all the roads are being re-arranged

c1991 JA24 Closed. Student accommodation ?

22.11.2010 Source 26 Has closed and become student accommodation

LICENSEES

1858 JA16 CS Henry Freeman

1858 JA16 CS Samuel Smith

1861 Census Samuel Smith 43 yo b Bubbenhall m Mary, 54 & 1 gd

23.11.1868 Lantern Samuel Smith
1871 Census Samuel Smith 63 yo b Bubbenhall m Mary, 64 & 1 gd

1874 C&B S. Smith
1878 LJ Vol 1 P41 Samuel Smith
1879 Stevens Samuel Smith

1881 C&B S. Smith

1886 C&B S. Smith
1886 LJ Vol 1 P41 Samuel Smith
1886 LJ Vol 1 P41 Jane Tipping
1890/91 R&G J. Tippimg

1893 Reporter Jane Tippimg

1894 R&G Mrs J. Tippimg

1896 R&G Mrs J. Tippimg

1898 LJ Vol 1 P41 Jane Tipping
1903 R&G Mrs J. Tippimg

1905 R&G John Tippimg

1911/12 Spennell J. Tippimg

1912/13 Spennell J. Tippimg

1919 Spennell Mrs Lily Tippimg

1921/22 Spennell Mrs Lily Tippimg

1924 P. James S. Hyde

1926/27 P. James S. Hyde

1929 P. James S. Hyde

1931/32 P. James S. Hyde

1933/34 P. James S. Hyde

1935/36 P. James F. J. Toney

1937/38 P. James F. J. Toney

1939/40 P. James F. J. Toney

6.6.1985 CET Advert Richard & Edwina Broyd

OWNERS

1878 LJ Vol 1 P41 Rebecca Warden, Days Lane
later LJ Vol 1 P41 Robert Choules, Coventry
later LJ Vol 1 P41 Northampton Brewery Co Ltd
1898 LJ Vol 1 P41 Northampton Brewery Co Ltd

Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.