title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Vampire

photo

Jordan Well in the 1920's

NAME VAMPIRE
ADDRESS 47 JORDAN WELL
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1800 1802 RING OF BELLS
1802 1868 COCK
1868 1870 VAMPIRE, VAMPIRE MUSEUM INN

What an odd name. I beleive this was before the publication of Bram Stoker's novel, so what did vampire mean to people in 1868? This pub was formerly the COCK. In 1855 it ws the VAMPIRE MUSEUM INN, Later becoming just the VAMPIRE.

By 1871 the premises was occupied by a currier and leather seller. In the 1891 census the premises are given as No.48 and occupied by Thomas Barton, Wine Porter. His daughter, Eliza L. Barton aged 16 is shown as a British Wine Shop Keeper. Could this be the fate of the COCK?

Following excerpt from the "Historic Coventry" Forum, poster Annwiggy;
In December 1863 David Smith respectfully informed his friends that he has moved from Little Park Street to the Vampire Tavern where he will continue to be a preserver of animals, reptiles and Insects.

Known Licensees at the COCK are;
1828 - 1829 Joseph Glaze
1841 William Johnson
1845 - 1851 George Yardley
1861 Mary Pears
1861 F. G. Johnson

Known Licensees at the VAMPIRE are;
1868 C. Wakefield
1868 David Smith (see also at the Warwick Arms and Spirit Vaults, Little Park Street in 1863)
1869 Amos Statham
1870 James Robert Lucas


link to previous pub link to next pub link to previous pub link to next pub link to previous pub link to next pub link to previous pub link to next pub link to previous pub link to next pub link to previous pub link to next pub link to previous pub link to next pub link to previous pub link to next pub link to previous pub link to next pub link to previous pub link to next pub link to previous pub link to next pub
+ -
Click here to see Research

Paste your document here

Name ?

This pub was previoulsy the COCK

1835 TRE P46 The seasonal offering in December 1835 was J. R. Planche's ' The Vampire '. The play, first seen in 1820.......

What did ' Vampire ' mean to people in the erly 19th century ?

1855 JA34 VAMPIRE MUSEUM INN

2.12.1865 JA141 CS Transfer of license from David Smith to William Earley

9.11.1867 JA141 CS Transfer of license from David Taylor to Caleb Wakefield

21.12.1867 JA141 CS Transfer of license from Caleb Wakefield to David Smith

5.11.1869 JA63 CH&O Transfer of license from David Smith to Amos Statham

1870 JA The inn now being known as the VAMPIRE ( occupied by James Robert Lucas )

1870 TRE P124 ......The Oldbury palace....opened in 1870 as the Museum Palace of Varieties and was an assembly hall attached to a public house in Church Street. Known as the Bird Show owing to the decorations of stuffed birds that adorned the interior, it functioned as a music hall.

1871 JA No 47 = W. Davis - currier and leather seller

LICENSEES

1865 JA141 CS David Smith

1865 JA141 CS William Earley

1867 JA141 CS David Taylor

1867 JA141 CS Caleb Wakefield
1867 JA141 CS Caleb Wakefield

1867 JA141 CS David Smith

1868 Buchanan C. Wakefield

23.11.1868 Lantern David Smith
1869 JA63 CH&O David Smith

1869 JA63 CH&O Amos Statham

1870 JA James Robert Lucas

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.