title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Unicorn

photo
NAME UNICORN
ADDRESS EASTERN GREEN LANE

THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY

See all available records HERE

FROM TO KNOWN AS
1851 1989 UNICORN
1850 1924 BEERHOUSE, Lower Eastern Green
1989 2013 SCIREBORNE TAVERN
  2013 present UNICORN

The unicorn is a legendary animal which has a horses body with a single long horn, which is supposed to possess magical powers. The pub name has heraldin origins. The unicorn supported the Scottish Royal Arms and when James IV of Scotland became James I of England he brought the unicorn into the English Royal Arms, replacing the Welsh Dragon. The unicorn is also in the arms of the Waxchandlers, the Goldsmiths and the Apothecaries.

From 1850 to 1924 this was the BEERHOUSE, lower Eastern Green, although on the 1888 map above it is named as The Unicorn public house. It was a cottage on Unicorn Lane. The Wills family, early licensees, were cordwainers who ran the beerhouse as something of a side line.

In 1937 the new Unicorn was started opposite the old one. However, due to the intevention of the war, it remained a shell. The roof was on but the flooboards had not been put in. It was completed after the war and did not open to business until 1954. The original Unicron reverted to being a private residence and still stands to this day opposite the new pub and called 'Unicorn Cottage'. The new Unicorn is an imposing mock Tudor structure, surrounded by trees that screen it and its grounds from the road.

Known Licensees at the BEERHOUSE are;
1841 - 1850 John Wills & shoemaker
1863 - 1880 Arthur Wills
1888 - 1892 Mrs Arthur Wills
1900 - 1924 Ernest Burbridge

Known Licensees at the UNICORN are;
1841 Joseph Tims
1841 - 1851 John Wills cordwainer
1863 - 1879 Arthur Wills cordwainer & beer house keeper
1929 E. Burbridge
1931 - 1940 Henry French
1983 Bob Gould
1985 Mr S. Walton

Owners
1985 Ansells
map

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.