title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Turk's Head

Warwick Lane 1931

Warwick Lane 1931. the Turk's Head was up on the left. The Grapes is the pub in the centre of the photograph

NAME TURKS HEAD
ADDRESS 45 WARWICK LANE
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES 46 WARWICK LANE

THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY

See all available records HERE

FROM TO KNOWN AS
1699 1886 TURKS HEAD
1886 1896 OLD TURK
1903 1907 OLD TURKS HEAD

Noble families whose members had taken part in the crusades tended to include a Turk's head as part of their arms.

In 1699 there is an agreement for the lease of the pub. Then c1775 an abstarct of the title of G. Birch to it. The Turks Head adjoins the Red Lion.

In 1907 the license is given up in consideration of the Justice's permission for alterations to the Old Ball Inn, Walsgrave Road. Between 1886 and 1896 this is listed as the OLD TURK and between 1903 and 1905 the OLD TURKS HEAD.

Known Licensees at the TURK'S HEAD are;
1841 - 1851 Robert Dalton
1861 - 1874 Samuel Goddard & bricklayer
1879 - 1886 John Edward Keene

Known Licensees at the OLD TURK are;
1890 - 1891 S. Gimson
1893 George Bates
1894 - 1896 F. Blakemore

Known Licensees at the OLD TURK'S HEAD are;
1903 S. C. Carter
1905 William Bennett

map

+ -
Click here to see Research

Dict PN Noble families whose members had taken part in the crusades tended to include thereafter a turk's head as part of their arms, it was then transferred to inn signs in the normal way. other meaning s of turk's head are -

1 A kind of thistle

2 A round long handled broom or brush

3 A round cake tine with a conical core in the centre

4 An ornamental know which adorns the tiller-post of a canal narrow boat

25.5.1699 CR 309/110 Agreement between O. Gilbert and T. King senior for the lease of the above pub

1699 WB P12 .....Thomas King.....bought the Rose & Crown in High Street in 1692, and in 1699 he bought the Turks Head in Little Park Street

( sic ) , from William Gilbert. King died in 1702

3.10.1728 JA127 BA/A/7/2/3 Mortgage

a) The Turks Head, Greyfriars Lane, lately inhabited by Thomas Rew.

1745 JA34 PA309/109 Birch family had the Turks Head, Warwick Lane, which adjoined the Red Lion.

c1775 CR 309/109 Abstarct of title of G. Birch to the above. It adjoins T. Dullisons Red Lion

c1808 COC P44 Mentioned in Napoleonic poem.

1851 Source 49 Board of Health Map

1878 CBH P67 FLYING MONARCH ( Bicycles )

Frederick James Vincent was born in Loughborough in 1875, but his family moved to Coventry soon after, his father becoming the landlord of the Dolphin Inn ( Old Turks Head 1878 - 1879, Salutation 1884 - 1890 )

28.8.1878 LJ Vol 1 P47 OLD TURKS HEAD, Warwick Lane Alehouse
Owner : Henry Willford, Smithford Street
Licensee : Charles James Vincent
10.7.1879 TOL to John Edward Keene
22.4.1886 TOL to John Henry Bates
31.10.1889 TOL to Samuel Gimson
17.4.1890 TOL to Joseph White
26.6.1890 TOL to James William Barnes
5.8.1891 TOL to Francis Blakemore
26.11.1884 license withdrawal discussed - to pay expenses.

1894 CBH P24 BLAKEMORE, F. ( bicycles )
For one year only, Francis Blakemore of Walsall was listed as a
' cycle manufacturer ' at West Orchard. Blakemore was a saddler and harness maker by trade, but was also licensee of the Old Turks Head on Whitefriars Street ( sic ) from 1891 till his death in 1902.

1896 Spon P142 In 1896 twenty year old William Herbert Blakemore, whose father kept the Old Turks Head in Warwick lane, married Alice Edginton of the same age.

1907 Police License given up in consideration of Justice's permission for alterations to the Old Ball, Walsgrave Road.

LICENSEES

1699 CR309/110 Thomas King

1728 JA127 BA/A/7/2/3 Thomas Rew

1841 Census Robert & Hannah Dalton both 50 yo b Wks no others

1850 COS Robert Dalton

1851 Census Robert Dalton 70 yo b Shilton & 1 brother, 1 nephew

1861 Census Samuel Goddard 50 yo bricklayer b Withybrook m Elizabeth, 50 & 1d

1868 Buchanan S. Goddard

1871 Census Samuel Goddard 69 yo b Coventry m Elizabeth, 60 & 1s, 1d, 2 lodgers

1874 C&B Samuel Goddard
1878 LJ Vol 1 P47 Charles James Vincent Old Turks Head
1879 LJ Vol 1 P47 Charles James Vincent Old Turks Head
1879 LJ Vol 1 P47 John Edward Keene Old Turks Head
1879 Stevens John Edward Keene

1881 C&B J. Keene

1886 C&B J. E. Keene Old Turk
1886 LJ Vol 1 P47 John Edward Keene Old Turks Head
1886 LJ Vol 1 P47 John Henry Bates Old Turks Head
1889 LJ Vol 1 P47 Samuel Gimson Old Turks Head
1890/91 R&G S. Gimson Old Turk
1890 LJ Vol 1 P47 Samuel Gimson Old Turks Head
1890 LJ Vol 1 P47 Joseph White Old Turks Head
1890 LJ Vol 1 P47 James William Barnes Old Turks Head
1891 LJ Vol 1 P47 James William Barnes Old Turks Head
1891 LJ Vol 1 P47 Francis Blakemore Old Turks Head
1893 Reporter George Bates Old Turk

1894 R&G F. Blakemore Old Turk

1896 R&G F. Blakemore Old Turk

1896 Spon P142 F. Blakemore Old Turks Head
1891 LJ Vol 1 P47 Francis Blakemore Old Turks Head
1903 R&G S. C. Carter Old Turk

1905 R&G William Bennett Old Turk

OWNERS

1699 CR 309/110 William ( O. ) Gilbert

1699 WB P12 Thomas King

1745 JA34 PA309/109 Birch

c1775 CR 309/109 G. Birch

1878 LJ Vol 1 P47 Henry Willford, Smithford Street
1898 LJ Vol 1 P47 Henry Willford, Smithford Street

Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.