title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Turk's Head

Bishop Street towards Burges 1905

Bishop Street towards Burges 1905. Garibaldi's was at No.31 Silver Street which is just left of centre and was next door to the Turks Head/Tramway Inn at No.29 and St. John's Hospital t'other side.

NAME TURK'S HEAD
ADDRESS 29 SILVER STREET
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES BISHOP STREET
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1635 1883 TURK'S HEAD
1883 c1930 TRAMWAY INN
c1930 1972 TURK'S HEAD
1972 1980 CITY CENTRE PUB
1980 TURK'S HEAD
1980 1986 AZTECS
1986 c2001 DIPLOMAT
c2001 2003 PRIDE OF COVENTRY
2003 2014 DIPLOMAT
2014 present THE ROADHOUSE

Noble families whose members had taken part in the crusades tended to include a Turk's head as part of their arms.

In 1635 a house is described as standing on ' school land ' near Swines Cross, between the Grammar School and the Turks Head.

In 1827 the pub was leased by Thomas Rotherham.

In 1862 it belnged to the Free Grammar School and was let to Mr Yardley for £ 19 10s od per annum. In 1882 it was sold.

Quote from "The Character of Coventry" by John Ashby:
The name was first recorded in an agreement dated 1699. The first name change is given as 1901 when it became the Tramway Inn and that was retained until circa 1934. It then reverted to the Turk's Head. It became the City Centre Pub in 1972 and then the Turk's Head again in 1980. At some intermediate stage it became Aztecs. In 1986 it became The Diplomat and at the time of publication in 2001 was known as The Pride of Coventry.

In 2014 the much troubled pub became The Roadhouse, now a live rock music venue.

Coventry Standard newspaper article from 6th January 1961

Coventry Standard newspaper article from 6th January 1961

Known Licensees at the TURKS HEAD are;
1822 - 1823 J. Francis
1835 Thomas Elton
1841 Thomas Harrald
1850 - 1860 William King
1862 - 1874 George Yardley
1879 - 1881 John Russell

1929 - 1934 A. V. Harrison
1935 - 1936 W. E Swain
1937 - 1938 A. E. Swain
1939 - 1940 H. G. Shuttleworth
1940 - 1961 onwards William Smith (see also earlier to 1940 at The Leicester Inn, Stoney Stanton Road)

1983 Colin Taggart

Known Licensees at the TRAMWAY INN are;
1886 E. Loakes
1890 - 1891 H. French
1893 - 1894 T. Pointer
1896 L. Pointer
1901 - 1909 Helena Scriver
1909 - 1910 Arthur Ward
1911 - 1913 Thomas Castle
1913 - 1919 Charles Moore
1920 - 1927 Mrs Emily Crossley Moore

Owners
1862 Free Grammar School
Town planning map of 1888

Town planning map of Silver Street from 1888.


+ -
Click here to see Research

Dict PN Noble families whose members had taken part in the crusades tended to include thereafter a turk's head as part of their arms, it was then transferred to inn signs in the normal way. other meaning s of turk's head are -

1 A kind of thistle

2 A round long handled broom or brush

3 A round cake tine with a conical core in the centre

4 An ornamental know which adorns the tiller-post of a canal narrow boat

15.7.1635 HOC P180 The house, described as being three tenaments, much decayed, stood on ' school land ' near Swines Cross, between the Grammar School and the Turks Head. ( John Hales established the Free Grammar School before 1572; A-Z P77 )

1827 Spon P17 Leased by Thomas Rotherham

1841 JA34 Charities Inquiry 5.4.1841

Expiration of 14 year lease to Thomas Rotherham for 3 messuages and a public house, the Turks Head.

1851 Source 49 Board of Health Map

11.8.1854 JA Cov Herald To dispose of by private contract the fixtures, furniture and brewing plant, stock, licenses and possessions of the Turks Head Tavern, Silver Street. Comprises Liquor shop, Bar, Parlour, Tap Room, malt Room, Brewhouse, Three Chambers, Club Room, good Cellaring and Out Offices. rental £ 19/10s per Annum

Proprietor for the last seven years Mr King is leaving the county

c1860 COCIP P29 Illustration

The inn sign on the 16th century building is that of the Turks Head which was run by William King when Troughton drew this picture.

1862 Poole P254 Rental of estates belonging to the Free Grammar School

Silver Street

A public house called the Turks Head, let to Mr Yardley

£ 19 10s 0d

28.8.1878 LJ Vol 1 P52 TURKS HEAD, Silver Street Alehouse
Owner : Free School Trustees, Coventry
later Francis Phillips & Walter Henry Marriott
later Phillips & Marriott Ltd
Licensee : George Yardley
20.3.1879 TOL to John Russell
3.11.1881 TOL to Henry Babbs
19.1.1882 TOL to Walter Henry Ward
1.6.1882 TOL to William Ramson
7.12.1882 TOL to Sarah Ann Adams
6.12.1883 TOL to Edwin Lokes
From this date see Tramway Inn
3.11.1887 TOL to Mary Ann Keene
28.6.1888 TOL to Joseph Dorrington
31.10.1889 TOL to Henry French
30.10.1890 TOL to William Taylor
28.7.1892 TOL to Eli Sanders
1.12.1892 TOL to Thomas Pointer
28.7.1895 TOL to Louisa Pointer
9.11.1896 TOL to Louisa Pointer
3.2.1898 TOL to Joaeph Walker
7.4.1873 fined 20/- & costs

6.6.1882 CR 64/3 ff1,2 Notice of sale with particulars

from 1883 See TRAMWAY INN

from 1934 reverts to TURKS HEAD

6.1.1960 Citypubs 25

1985 CCRAG City Centre pub which has had numerous names over the years and is soon to change to ' Tramlines ' a reminder of its distant past when this was in fact two pubs ' Turks Head ' and ' Tramway Inn '.

( incorrect )

c1988 Becomes CITY CENTRE PUB

LICENSEES

1822/23 Pigot J. Francis

1828/29 Pigot Chas Weston

1835 Pigot Thomas Elton

1841 Pigot Thomas Harrald

1845 Kelly J. Stringer

1850 COS William King

1851 Census William King 39 yo b Hinckley m Ann,38

c1860 COCIP P29 William King

1861 Census George Yardley 53 yo b Coventry m Mary, 74 & 1d, 3 lodgers

1862 Poole P254 Mr Yardley

1868 Buchanan George Yardley

1874 C&B G. Yardley
1878 LJ Vol 1 P52 George Yardley
1879 LJ Vol 1 P52 George Yardley
1879 LJ Vol 1 P52 John Russell
1879 Stevens John Russell

1881 C&B John Russell
1881 LJ Vol 1 P52 John Russell
1881 LJ Vol 1 P52 Henry Babbs
1882 LJ Vol 1 P52 Henry Babbs
1882 LJ Vol 1 P52 Walter Henry Ward
1882 LJ Vol 1 P52 William Ramson
1882 LJ Vol 1 P52 Sarah Ann Adams
1882 LJ Vol 1 P52 Sarah Ann Adams
1883 LJ Vol 1 P52 Edwin Lokes

1935/36 P. James W. E. Swain

1937/38 P. James A. E. Swain

1939/40 P. James H. G. Shuttleworth

1953 LTSD

1983 Pubscrawl 49 Colin Taggart

OWNERS

15.7.1635 HOC P180 School

1862 Poole 254 Free Grammar School
1878 LJ Vol 1 P52 Free School Trustees, Coventry
6.6.1882 CR 64/3 ff1,2 Sold by Free School Trustees, Coventry

later LJ Vol 1 P52 Francis Phillips & Walter Henry Marriott
later LJ Vol 1 P52 Phillips & Marriott Ltd
1898 LJ Vol 1 P52 Phillips & Marriott Ltd

Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.