title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Three Tuns Inn

photo

The original Three Tuns Commercial Hotel during Thomas Pegg Furman's tenure.

NAME THREE TUNS INN
ALTERNATIVE NAMES THREE TUNS HOTEL
ADDRESS 1 WARWICK ROW
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES HERTFORD STREET, BULL YARD, GREYFRIARS LANE

A tun is a large cask containing wine or other liquids, with a capacity of two pipes, or four hogsheads, or 252 old wine gallons. three tuns appear on the arms of the Worshipful Company of Vintners and the Worshipful Company of Brewers.

This was a coaching inn supposedly dating back to c1750.

To 1899 it was owned by Ratliffs. On their take over in that year it was owned by Phillips and Marriott. At the time they valued it at £4,000.

 

Coventry Standard newspaper clipping from 9th June 1961

The Warwick Row building was demolished as part of the general post-war redevelopment of the city centre and replaced by a new building, opened in 1966 which incorporated a relief mural by William Mitchell in concrete and pebble aggregate in the Bull Yard

In 1982 Chris Arnott wrote that 'it's like drinking in a large packing case with windows. The designer apparently modelled it on the lines of a warehouse. The idea is to make it look basic and down-to- earth so there's sawdust strewn across the tiled floor, there's genuine gas lighting, wood veneer benches and hand pumps on the bar'. The upstairs function room had a bar and regular discos. The licensee at this time was Martin McKeown.

photo

The premises were later converted to an indian restaurant and renamed.

The mural is a grade II listed structure but its future is somewhat in doubt. Coventry Council have announced plans to redevelop the Bull Yard area of the precinct in which this Grade II listed mural can be found. The city’s website for the huge £300m project is here and a flickr site of images is here, but I wouldn’t bother too much. It’s all fairly standard developer stuff; bland and non location specific, promising blue skies, bright colours and smiling people, but in reality delivering the same old, same old….. NO PUBS!

Still we have it on pretty good authority that the mural will be saved and incorporated into the new scheme, maybe hidden away on an inside wall somewhere so it can avoid the worst of the Midlands weather.

Known Licensees are;
1822 - 1841 Charles Shettle
1850 Mary Shettle
1861 William Gilbert
1868 - 1871 Arthur Hough
1874 - 1879 Jonas Keartland
1881 Mrs T. J. Keartland
1886 - 1893 E. Keartland
1894 Mrs E. Keartland
1896 Joseph Petty
1900 Elizabeth Mary Pitt
1901 H. W. Thomas
1902 - 1905 Walter Chatland
1906 - 1912 Thomas Yarnold
1912 - 1922 Thomas Pegg Furman
1924 - 1927 W. M. Stockall
1933 - 1934 H. E. Wilkinson
1935 - 1936 R. Hudson
1937 - 1938 W. H. Burbury
1939 - 1940 W. F. Allinson
1946 - 1962 Edward D. Steppings (see clipping above)
1982 Martin McKeown
Owners
to 1899 Ratliff
1899 - 1924 Phillips and Marriott
from 1924 Bass

Late 1960s with the Barracks car park still under construction

map

+ -
Click here to see Research

Dict PN A tun is a large cask containing wine and other liquids, with a capacity of two pipes, or four hogsheads, or 252 old wine gallons. Tuns were used for wholesale distribution. Three tuns appear on the arms of the Worshipful Company of Vintners ( 1437 ) and the Worshipful Company of Brewers ( 1437 )

1750 COCIP P72 Photo

.....an original coaching inn standing from at least 1750.

1800 COC P42 Mentioned in Napoleonic poem

17.6.1816 JA JCM Used for auctions

1851 Source 49 Board of Health Map

2.1.1853 JA40 Henry Lea's will left the Three Tuns to Ann Tatlock. The rest of his estate to his sisters, Mary, Sarah and Elizabeth Lea. On Ann Tatlock's death the Three Tuns also went to them.

31.12.1854 JA40 Henry Lea died

17.2.1853 JA40 Sarah lea died

25.9.1863 JA141 CH&O Transfer of license from William Gilbert to William Bickerton

20.12.1869 JA40 Will of Elizabeth Lea left her estate to her sisters, then William Frederick Pridmore ( Wyken House, Coventry, gentleman and

farmer ) and Thomas Hurlston Kirby ( Allesley, gentleman and solicitor )

17.8.1876 JA40 Mary Lea died

28.8.1878 LJ Vol1 P 26 THREE TUNS HOTEL, Warwick Row Alehouse
Owner : Miss Lea, Quadrant
later William Ratliff, Coventry
Licensee : James Keartland
1.11.1883 TOL to Ester Keartland
11.4.1895 TOL to Joseph Pitt
29.10.1896 TOL to Elizabeth Mary Pitt

30.7.1882 JA40 Elizabeth Lea died. William Frederick Pridmore and Thomas Hurlston Kirby auctioned the premises on 23.10.1882 at the Craven Arms, Coventry to William Ratliff for £ 1700

27.12.1882 JA40 Three Tuns, Warwick Row ( western side )

1887 COC P55 Cov Times Inn signs

1891 CBH P159 STUART, CHARLES & CO ( Bicycles )

Three Tuns Hotel, Warwick Row & St Johns Street )
Charles Stuart, of Greys Inn Road,London, arrived in Coventry in 1891, setting up at the Three Tuns Hotel as cycle manufacturers .
(No doubt in the yard, as with others - Fred )

to 1899 P&M PR Owned by Ratliff

from 1899 P&M PR Owned by Phillips & Marriott

30.9.1899 P&M PR Value £ 4000

1906 OS MAP

c1912 CWL P23 Photo. Resited in 1965

1914 COCIP P72 Photo

Looking up Hertford Street from Warwick Row in the summer of 1914. Next door stands the ' Three Tuns Commercial Hotel ' an original coaching inn standing from at least 1750. Above the old coach entrance can now be seen the word 'Garage ' indicating the advancement of road transport.

1955 ? Photo

The Three Tuns Inn. This began life as a coaching inn. It closed in 1965

9.6.1961 Citypubs As part of Coventry's redevelopement, the Three Tuns Inn in Warwick Row, which is over a century old, is soon to be demolished, but the brewers are building a new one alongside which will be at the bottom of Hertford Street. Messrs Bass are anxious that this will be of the most modern design and will contain every device that accompanies up-to-date amenities. it is 36 years since the Three Tuns turned itself into a commercial hotel.

21.5.1965 Closed and resited

1966 JA License relocated to Bull Yard

5.4.1966 News 2-10 Re-opens after interval of 12 months

1979 WRAG2 Live music upstairs

1982 WRAG3 The downstairs bar has recently been converted to a spit and sawdust bar, supposedly a replica of the old pub. The upstairs functions room has a bar and regular discos. The pub is on the site of the famous medaeval pub ' Bull Inn ' where Elizabeth I stayed. This pub was demolished to make way for the barracks ( in turn demolished to become a car park ). It is actually at the rear entrance to the Bull

1982 Pubscrawl 17 Just now its like drinking in a large packing case with windows. The designer apparently modelled it on the lines of a wharehouse. Thge idea is to make it look basic and down-to-earth. So there's sawdust strewn across the tiled floor. There's genuine gas lighting, wood veneer benches and hand pumps on the bar. Trhat's what they call a ' real ale ' bar. The only difference between the beer on sale downstairs at the Three Tuns and the electric pumped beer upstairs as a matter of six pence.

1985 CCRAG A modern pub built on the site of the medaeval Bull Inn ( It is actually at the rear entrance to the Bull ) where Elizabeth I stayed on her visit to Coventry. Upstairs lounge with disco and downstairs real ale bar has a wharehouse theme. Shut Sunday lunch.

LICENSEES

1822/23 Pigot C. Shuttle Greyfriars Lane

1828/29 Pigot Chas Shetton

1835 Pigot Charles Shettle

1841 Pigot Charles Shettle

1841 Census Charles Shettle 50 yo b Wks

1845 Kelly C. Shettle

1850 COS Mary Shettle

1861 Census William Gilbert 46 yo b Coventry m Hannah, 43 & 4s, 3d, 1 visitor, 1 servant
1863 JA141 CH&O William Gilbert

1863 JA141 CH&O William Bickerton

1868 Buchanan A. Hough

23.11.1868 Lantern Arthur Hough

1871 Census Arthur Hough 31 yo innkeeper b Coventrry m Emma, 32 & 2 servants

1874 C&B J. Keartland
1878 LJ Vol1 P 26 James Keartland
1879 Stevens Jonas ( James ? ) Keartland

1881 C&B Mrs T. J. Keartland
1883 LJ Vol1 P 26 James Keartland
1883 LJ Vol1 P 26 Ester Keartland
1886 C&B E. Keartland

1890/91 R&G E. Keartland

1893 Reporter E. Keartland

1894 R&G Mrs E. Keartland
1895 LJ Vol1 P 26 Ester Keartland
1895 LJ Vol1 P 26 Joseph Pitt
1896 R&G Joseph Petty ( Pitt ? ) proprietor
1896 LJ Vol1 P 26 Joseph Pitt
1896 LJ Vol1 P 26 Elizabeth Mary Pitt
2.3.1900 P&M PR Elizabeth Mary Pitt

25.1.1901 P&M PR H. W. Thomas

27.3.1902 P&M PR W. Chatland

1903 R&G Walter Chatland

1905 R&G Walter Chatland

12.3.1906 P&M PR Thomas Yarnold

1909 R&G T. Yarnold proprietor

1.6.1910 P&M PR Thomas Yarnold new agreement

1911/12 Spennell T. Yarnold

12.3.1912 P&M PR Thomas Pegg Furman

1912/13 Spennell T. P. Furman

1919 Spennell Tom P. Furman

1921/22 Spennell Tom P. Furman

1924 P. James W. M. Stockall Inn

1926/27 P. James W. M. Stockall "

1933/34 P. James H. E. Wilkinson "

1935/36 P. James R. Hudson "

1937/38 P. James W. H. Burbury "

1939/40 P. James W. F. Allinson "

1946 Citypubs 45 Edward Steppings Hotel

1953 LTSD "

1955/56 Barrett Licensee not named "

1957 Barrett Licensee not named "

1960 Barrett E. D. Stepping "

1961 Barrett E. D. Stepping "

1961 Citypubs 45 Edward Steppings "

1962 Barrett E. D. Stepping "

1966 Barrett

1982 Pubscrawl 17 Martin McKeown

OWNERS

to 1854 JA40G Henry lea

1854 JA40G Ann Tatlock

1869 JA40G Elizabeth Lea
1878 LJ Vol1 P 26 Miss Lea, Quadrant
1882 JA40G Elizabeth Lea
1882 P&M PR Ratliff

later LJ Vol1 P 26 William Ratliff, Coventry
1898 LJ Vol1 P 26 William Ratliff, Coventry
1899 P&M PR Ratliff

from1899 P&M PR Phillips & Marriott

Dict PN A tun is a large cask containing wine and other liquids, with a capacity of two pipes, or four hogsheads, or 252 old wine gallons. Tuns were used for wholesale distribution. Three tuns appear on the arms of the Worshipful Company of Vintners ( 1437 ) and the Worshipful Company of Brewers ( 1437 )

1750 COCIP P72 Photo

.....an original coaching inn standing from at least 1750.

1800 COC P42 Mentioned in Napoleonic poem

17.6.1816 JA JCM Used for auctions

1851 Source 49 Board of Health Map

2.1.1853 JA40 Henry Lea's will left the Three Tuns to Ann Tatlock. The rest of his estate to his sisters, Mary, Sarah and Elizabeth Lea. On Ann Tatlock's death the Three Tuns also went to them.

31.12.1854 JA40 Henry Lea died

17.2.1853 JA40 Sarah lea died

25.9.1863 JA141 CH&O Transfer of license from William Gilbert to William Bickerton

20.12.1869 JA40 Will of Elizabeth Lea left her estate to her sisters, then William Frederick Pridmore ( Wyken House, Coventry, gentleman and

farmer ) and Thomas Hurlston Kirby ( Allesley, gentleman and solicitor )

17.8.1876 JA40 Mary Lea died

28.8.1878 LJ Vol1 P 26 THREE TUNS HOTEL, Warwick Row Alehouse
Owner : Miss Lea, Quadrant
later William Ratliff, Coventry
Licensee : James Keartland
1.11.1883 TOL to Ester Keartland
11.4.1895 TOL to Joseph Pitt
29.10.1896 TOL to Elizabeth Mary Pitt

30.7.1882 JA40 Elizabeth Lea died. William Frederick Pridmore and Thomas Hurlston Kirby auctioned the premises on 23.10.1882 at the Craven Arms, Coventry to William Ratliff for £ 1700

27.12.1882 JA40 Three Tuns, Warwick Row ( western side )

1887 COC P55 Cov Times Inn signs

1891 CBH P159 STUART, CHARLES & CO ( Bicycles )

Three Tuns Hotel, Warwick Row & St Johns Street )
Charles Stuart, of Greys Inn Road,London, arrived in Coventry in 1891, setting up at the Three Tuns Hotel as cycle manufacturers .
(No doubt in the yard, as with others - Fred )

to 1899 P&M PR Owned by Ratliff

from 1899 P&M PR Owned by Phillips & Marriott

30.9.1899 P&M PR Value £ 4000

1906 OS MAP

c1912 CWL P23 Photo. Resited in 1965

1914 COCIP P72 Photo

Looking up Hertford Street from Warwick Row in the summer of 1914. Next door stands the ' Three Tuns Commercial Hotel ' an original coaching inn standing from at least 1750. Above the old coach entrance can now be seen the word 'Garage ' indicating the advancement of road transport.

1955 ? Photo

The Three Tuns Inn. This began life as a coaching inn. It closed in 1965

9.6.1961 Citypubs As part of Coventry's redevelopement, the Three Tuns Inn in Warwick Row, which is over a century old, is soon to be demolished, but the brewers are building a new one alongside which will be at the bottom of Hertford Street. Messrs Bass are anxious that this will be of the most modern design and will contain every device that accompanies up-to-date amenities. it is 36 years since the Three Tuns turned itself into a commercial hotel.

21.5.1965 Closed and resited

1966 JA License relocated to Bull Yard

5.4.1966 News 2-10 Re-opens after interval of 12 months

1979 WRAG2 Live music upstairs

1982 WRAG3 The downstairs bar has recently been converted to a spit and sawdust bar, supposedly a replica of the old pub. The upstairs functions room has a bar and regular discos. The pub is on the site of the famous medaeval pub ' Bull Inn ' where Elizabeth I stayed. This pub was demolished to make way for the barracks ( in turn demolished to become a car park ). It is actually at the rear entrance to the Bull

1982 Pubscrawl 17 Just now its like drinking in a large packing case with windows. The designer apparently modelled it on the lines of a wharehouse. Thge idea is to make it look basic and down-to-earth. So there's sawdust strewn across the tiled floor. There's genuine gas lighting, wood veneer benches and hand pumps on the bar. Trhat's what they call a ' real ale ' bar. The only difference between the beer on sale downstairs at the Three Tuns and the electric pumped beer upstairs as a matter of six pence.

1985 CCRAG A modern pub built on the site of the medaeval Bull Inn ( It is actually at the rear entrance to the Bull ) where Elizabeth I stayed on her visit to Coventry. Upstairs lounge with disco and downstairs real ale bar has a wharehouse theme. Shut Sunday lunch.

LICENSEES

1822/23 Pigot C. Shuttle Greyfriars Lane

1828/29 Pigot Chas Shetton

1835 Pigot Charles Shettle

1841 Pigot Charles Shettle

1841 Census Charles Shettle 50 yo b Wks

1845 Kelly C. Shettle

1850 COS Mary Shettle

1861 Census William Gilbert 46 yo b Coventry m Hannah, 43 & 4s, 3d, 1 visitor, 1 servant
1863 JA141 CH&O William Gilbert

1863 JA141 CH&O William Bickerton

1868 Buchanan A. Hough

23.11.1868 Lantern Arthur Hough

1871 Census Arthur Hough 31 yo innkeeper b Coventrry m Emma, 32 & 2 servants

1874 C&B J. Keartland
1878 LJ Vol1 P 26 James Keartland
1879 Stevens Jonas ( James ? ) Keartland

1881 C&B Mrs T. J. Keartland
1883 LJ Vol1 P 26 James Keartland
1883 LJ Vol1 P 26 Ester Keartland
1886 C&B E. Keartland

1890/91 R&G E. Keartland

1893 Reporter E. Keartland

1894 R&G Mrs E. Keartland
1895 LJ Vol1 P 26 Ester Keartland
1895 LJ Vol1 P 26 Joseph Pitt
1896 R&G Joseph Petty ( Pitt ? ) proprietor
1896 LJ Vol1 P 26 Joseph Pitt
1896 LJ Vol1 P 26 Elizabeth Mary Pitt
2.3.1900 P&M PR Elizabeth Mary Pitt

25.1.1901 P&M PR H. W. Thomas

27.3.1902 P&M PR W. Chatland

1903 R&G Walter Chatland

1905 R&G Walter Chatland

12.3.1906 P&M PR Thomas Yarnold

1909 R&G T. Yarnold proprietor

1.6.1910 P&M PR Thomas Yarnold new agreement

1911/12 Spennell T. Yarnold

12.3.1912 P&M PR Thomas Pegg Furman

1912/13 Spennell T. P. Furman

1919 Spennell Tom P. Furman

1921/22 Spennell Tom P. Furman

1924 P. James W. M. Stockall Inn

1926/27 P. James W. M. Stockall "

1933/34 P. James H. E. Wilkinson "

1935/36 P. James R. Hudson "

1937/38 P. James W. H. Burbury "

1939/40 P. James W. F. Allinson "

1946 Citypubs 45 Edward Steppings Hotel

1953 LTSD "

1955/56 Barrett Licensee not named "

1957 Barrett Licensee not named "

1960 Barrett E. D. Stepping "

1961 Barrett E. D. Stepping "

1961 Citypubs 45 Edward Steppings "

1962 Barrett E. D. Stepping "

1966 Barrett

1982 Pubscrawl 17 Martin McKeown

OWNERS

to 1854 JA40G Henry lea

1854 JA40G Ann Tatlock

1869 JA40G Elizabeth Lea
1878 LJ Vol1 P 26 Miss Lea, Quadrant
1882 JA40G Elizabeth Lea
1882 P&M PR Ratliff

later LJ Vol1 P 26 William Ratliff, Coventry
1898 LJ Vol1 P 26 William Ratliff, Coventry
1899 P&M PR Ratliff

from1899 P&M PR Phillips & Marriott

Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.