title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Three Swans

photo

Much Park Street celebrations for the Lady Godiva Procession, noted actress of the day 'La Milo' in the starring role, 1907. Photo courtesy of Rob Orland

NAME THREE SWANS
ADDRESS MUCH PARK STREET

Three swans appear on the arms of Richard, provost of Wells, in the fifteenth century.

In 1713 Mary Wale and her son, Thomas Wale, conveyed to John Wykes a new messuage known as the ' Three Swans Inn' on the south side of Much Park Street, comprising five bays, a frontage of 26 feet in all, with a garden that extended to the City Wall.

In 1725 Joseph Ash junior defaulted on a mortgage payment for this pub and it was repossessed by R. Waren who sold it to R. Saunders. In 1735 we learn that it was customary for the Vestry of St. Michael's to adjourn to well-known inns such as the Three Swans, amongst others.

Owners;
1713 Mary Wale & Thomas Wale
1713 John Wykes
to 1725 R. Waren
from 1725 R. Saunders

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.