title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Three Horseshoes

photo

Once the through road to the "Great Park", one of Coventry's most ancient and appropriately named streets is Much Park Street, seen here in 1912.

NAME THREE HORSE SHOES
ADDRESS 20 MUCH PARK STREET
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES MUCHFORD STREET

This name probably came from heraldry, referring to the Worshipful Company of Farriers (1673) or the Ferrers family, earls of Derby, whose name is derived from a placename, not farriery.

In 1756 four soldiers were billeted here.

In 1772 the pub was mentioned in evidence in the Toll Gate Murder trial. The suspects had been drinking ale, rum and water at the Three Horse Shoes until 11 or 12 o'clock at night.

In 1854 the pub was to let and comprised bar, parlour, club room, lrge parlour, back kitchen, sitting room, eight chambers, washhouse, out-offices, large yard and stabling, ciach house, skittle alley, brewhouse and excellent cellaring. Impressive, but it closed in 1856 and the fitting and fixtures aere sold.

Known Licensees are;
1734 Samuel Vale
1772 Sarah Panther
1822 - 1823 John Ashton
1835 Elizabeth Frith
1841 - 1845 James Coleman
1848 Samuel Russell
1848 - 1851 John Sanders

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.