|NAME||THREE HORSE SHOES|
|ADDRESS||40 BISHOP STREET|
|ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES||MISFORD STREET|
|THIS PREMISES WAS ALSO KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY||FROM||TO||KNOWN AS|
This pub is only known from one directory, Whites of 1874. It is thought to have been previously the GOLDEN BALL
This sign was used by many tradesmen in the past, probably because it was a simple visual symbol. It appears to have no heraldic or religious significance. The royal orb is linked with Constantine the Great, who adopted a golden globe as a symbol and added a cross to it later when he was converted to Christianity.
In 1787 an auction was hekd at the sign of the BALL, and in 1801 it was adverised to let. By 1874 it ihas become the THREE HORSESHOES, although this was at No 40
|Known Licensees are;
1822 - 1835 John Dunn
1841 John Ensor
1850 William Jennings
1868 John White
1874 JA69 White Licensee W. Barlow, victualler & blacksmith
1871 Census William Burton, 40 Bishop Street - pub not named
1874 JA69 White W. Barlow, victualler & blacksmith
Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.