Thomas Street prior to demolition
|ADDRESS||17 THOMAS STREET|
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY
See all available records HERE
|c1835||1910||COMPASSES / THREE COMPASSES / COMPASS|
|This is usually a reference to the compass or compasses that appear on the Arms of the Masons (one), the Joiners (two) or the Carpenters (three), or the pub may interpret the name as the kind of compass used by mariners to guide their ships. In the directories the name continually changes between Compasses, Three Compasses and Compass.
In 1856 the pub was used for an inquest. In 1858 it was to let and in 1865 the pub was up for sale. On 6th March 1868 William Newbold was fined for keeping his house open for the sale of beer during divine service on a Sunday. The Compasses closed on 14.7.1910 and became a lodging house.
|Known Licensees are;
1835 - 1841 Edwin Bradshaw
1841 - 1850 William Ellis. He died in 1850 and his wife, Sarah took over the license
1850 - 1851 Sarah Ellis. The license was transferred from Sarah Ellis to Thomas Allen in 1851
1851 Thomas Allen
1855 John Aspinall. The license was transferred from John Aspinall to William West in this year
1855 William West
1861 Elizabeth Hassall
1864 John Rose. The license was transferred from John Rose to Thomas Hassall in this year
1864 Thomas Hassall
1865 John Hassall. the license was transferred from John Hassall to William Newbold in this year
1865 - 1888 William Newbold
1890 - 1894 J. or T. Arch or Archer. There seems to be some confusion here !
1896 Laurence Newbold
1898 - 1901 Thomas Gould
1903 - 1904 William Ballard
1905 Mrs. Theresa Sarah Phipps
1907 - 1909 Robert Harris
Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.