title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Talbot Inn

photo

Cross Cheaping 1892

NAME TALBOT INN / YE OLDE TALBOT INN
ADDRESS 9 and 10 CROSS CHEAPING
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES MARKET PLACE

A talbot is a variety of hound formerly used for tracking and hunting. It was white with black spots, heavy jawed with long ears. It had remarkable powers of scent and was the ancestor of modern fox and stag hounds. It was used on the coat of arms of the Talbot family.

In 1756 eight soldiers from General Lambton's regiment were billeted here. Coventry's watchman's box stood in the porch. Given the pub's location near the market it is natural that it was used by the market traders. In 1919 it was one of the properties attacked during the 'Peace Riots' that followed the end of the First World War, see the Kings Arms Hotel for a longer discussion of these riots.

This was a home brew pub until c1920 and it closed around 1951 and the license was suspended.

Known Licensees are;
1822 - 1841 Richard Eaves
1850 - 1851 Sarah Eaves
1861 Caroline Eaves
1868 Miles H. Hassell
1868 - 1874 Thomas Twigger
1879 - 1896 Henry William beck
1903 - 1905 Arthur E. Bedford
1909 - 1913 Joseph Cross
1919 Joseph Moore
1921 - 1922 G. R. Owen
1924 C. H. Phillips
1926 - 1927 W. T. Prew
1931 - 1934 W. J. Tasker
1935 - 1936 Mrs F. Ryder
1937 - 1938 P. Capella
1939 - 1940 A. E. Baker
Brewers;
to 1877 Thomas Twigger
1877 - 1902 Henry William Beck
1902 - 1906 Arthur Bedford
1906 - 1920 Joseph ( or James ) Cross 

+ -
Click here to see Research

Dict PN A variety of hound formerly used for tracking and hunting, white with black spots, heavy jawed and with long ears. it had remarkable powers of scent and was the ancestor of modern fox and stag hounds. Its name derives from the fifteenth century Talbot family, who used the hound on their coat of arms.

1756 Alderman Hewitt 8 soldiers billeted Market Place

c1800 COC P42 Mentioned in Napoleonic poem

1851 Source 49 Board of Health Map

COC P16 Watchman's watch - box in the porch

COC P17 Photo

1862 Poole P255 Rental of estates belonging to the Free Grammar School.

A chief rent of the Talbot stables, West Orchard, payable by

E. Phillips, M.D.

28.8.1878 LJ Vol 1 P45 TALBOT, Cross Cheaping Alehouse
Owner : Edward Meyrick, Newbic House, Cheltenham
Licensee : Thomas Twigger
25.1.1879 TOL to Henry William Beck

1887 COC P56 Cov Times Inn signs

1892 COV AIW Photo 42

1906 OS MAP

1909 COV AIW Photo 35

COC P2 Used by market traders - ' Cock Robin ', a vegetable seller

News 2 Photo - Atkinsons

1911 GH P21 Photo

1912 HOC P46 Photo
West Orchard

1919 GH P23 Photo

20.7.1919 Source 20 Attacked during ' Peace Riots '

to 1920 Friedrich Home brewery

c1941 Closed

LICENSEES

1822/23 Pigot R. Eaves

1828/29 Pigot Richd Eaves

1835 Pigot Richard Eaves

1841 Pigot Richard Eaves

1841 Census Richard Eaves 70 yo b Wks & 5 kids

1845 Kelly Richard Eaves

1850 COS Sarah Eaves

1851 Census Sarah Eaves 55 yo b Bilton & 2d

1861 Census Caroline Eaves 26 yo b Coventry unmarried & 2s, 1 nephew, 1 servant

1868 Buchanan Miles H. Hassell

23.11.1868 Lantern Thomas Twigger

1871 Census Thomas Twigger 45 yo b Coventry m Mary, 49 & 1 servant, 1 lodger

1874 C&B T. Twigger
1878 LJ Vol 1 P45 Thomas Twigger
1879 LJ Vol 1 P45 Henry William Beck
1879 Stevens Henry William Beck

1881 C&B H. W. Beck

1886 C&B H. W. Beck

1890/91 R&G H. W. Beck

1893 Reporter H. W. Beck

1894 R&G H. W. Beck

1896 R&G H. W. Beck
1899 LJ Vol 1 P45 Henry William Beck
1903 R&G Arthur E. Bedford

1905 R&G Arthur E. Bedford

1909 R&G J. Cross

1911/12 Spennell Joseph Cross

1912/13 Spennell Joseph Cross

1919 Spennell Joseph Moore Ye Olde Talbot Inn

1921/22 Spennell G. R. Owen " " " "

1924 P. James C. H. Phillips " " " "

1926/27 P. James W. T. Prew " " " "

1929 P. James Licensee not named " " " "

1931/32 P. James W. J. Tasker " " " "

1933/34 P. James W. J. Tasker " " " "

1935/36 P. James Mrs F. Ryder " " " "

1937/38 P. James P. Capella " " " "

1939/40 P. James A. E. Baker " " " "

BREWERS

1877 Friedrich Thomas Twigger

1877 Friedrich Henry William Beck

1902 Friedrich Henry William Beck

1902 Friedrich Arthur Bedford

1906 Friedrich Arthur Bedford

1906 Friedrich James Cross

1914 WB P17 Joseph Cross

1920 Friedrich James Cross

OWNERS

1878 LJ Vol 1 P45 Edward Meyrick, Newbic House, Cheltenham
1898 LJ Vol 1 P45 Edward Meyrick, Newbic House, Cheltenham

Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.