title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Swanswell Tavern

photo

A very early Swanswell Tavern

NAME SWANSWELL TAVERN
ADDRESS Corner of WHITE STREET and SWANSWELL STREET
THIS PREMISES WAS KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
c1835 1980 SWANSWELL TAVERN, SWANSWELL ARMS
1980 1988 WHITE SWAN
1988 2014 McGUIGANS BAR
2014 ? SWANSWELL
This name refers to a local pool, the Swanswell, which was the source of much of the water used in Coventry. This became the WHITE SWAN and later McGUIGANS In 2014 it reverted to the SWANSWELL.. The pub then only occupied part of the original building. April 2015 it's about to become a "BBQ Express" restaurant and takeaway?
Known Licensees are;
1861 Thomas Cole
1868 - 1879 Mrs Mary Russell
1886 - 1891 J. Russell
1893 - 1896 Mrs Emma Hough
1903 - 1909 J. Wigston
1912 - 1922 Alfred Hewitt
1924 T. Carter
1926 - 1927 T. R. Tudman
1933 - 1940 J. T. Rippon
1962 Cyril Bowns (see clipping below, see also the Lord Raglan, Foleshill Road at Exhall and Hertford Tavern, Hertford Place)
newspaper clipping

Coventry Evening Telegraph clipping from October 11th 1963

map
map

+ -
Click here to see Research

Name Refers to a local pool, the Swanswell, which was the source of much of the water used in Coventry

28.8.1878 LJ Vol 1 P37 SWANSWELL TAVERN, White Street Alehouse
Owner : Mrs Rigg, Fillongley
later Messrs Allen & Burnett, Lion Brewery, Nothampton
Licensee : Mary Russell
21.4.1887 TOL to Emma Hough

1912-1922 Source 41 Alfred Hewitt, licensee 1912 to 1922, was the son of Henry Hewitt, licensee of the Hare & Hounds, Castle Street.

11.10.1963 Citypubs 95

1980 JA Became the WHITE SWAN

LICENSEES

1861 Census Thomas Cole 50 yo b Coventry m Jane, 48 & 1d ARMS

1868 Buchanan M. Russell

23.11.1868 Lantern Mary Russell

1871 Census Mary Russell 56 yo b Coventry widow
1878 LJ Vol 1 P37 Mary Russell
1879 Stevens Mrs Mary Russell

1886 C&B J. Russell
1887 LJ Vol 1 P37 Mary Russell
1887 LJ Vol 1 P37 Emma Hough
1890/91 R&G J. Russell

1893 Reporter Emma Hough

1894 R&G Mrs Emma Hough

1896 R&G Mrs Emma Hough
1898 LJ Vol 1 P37 Emma Hough
1903 R&G J. Wigston

1905 R&G J. Wigston

1909 R&G J. Wigston

1911/12 Spennell Licensee not named

1912/13 Spennell Alfred Hewitt

1919 Spennell Alfred Hewitt

1921/22 Spennell Alfred Hewitt

1924 P. James T. Carter

1926/27 P. James T. R. Tudman

1933/34 P. James J. T. Rippon

1935/36 P. James J. T. Rippon

1937/38 P. James J. T. Rippon

1939/40 P. James J. T. Rippon

1955/56 Barrett Licensee not named

1957 Barrett Licensee not named

1960 Barrett Not listed in street section

1961 Barrett Not listed in street section

1962 Barrett Not listed in street section

1966 Barrett

to 1983 Pubscrawl 105 Steve Lougheed

OWNERS

1878 LJ Vol 1 P37 Mrs Rigg, Fillongley
later LJ Vol 1 P37 Messrs Allen & Burnett, Lion Brewery, Nothampton

Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.