title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Swanswell Hotel

photo

In the1950s

NAME SWANSWELL HOTEL
ADDRESS 20 HALES STREET
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1895 1909 BOARD VAULTS
1911 1998 SWANSWELL HOTEL, SWANSWELL STORES, DOWSE'S PUB
1999 INN PLACE

This name refers to a local pool, the Swanswell, which was the source of much of the water used in Coventry.

From 1895 to 1909 see the BOARD VAULTS, Hales Street

In 1926 this pub was sold by Charringtons

In 1982 it was described as a 'Basic working man's drinking pub and one of the few of its kind to survive in the City Centre'. In 2010 it was demolished to make way for the Phoenix (Millenium) Project and the site is under the Garden of International Friendship. Pity it couldn't have been the Pub of International Friendship!

newspaper clipping

Coventry Standard clipping from September 20th 1963

Known Licensees at the BOARD VAULTS are;
1896 - 1909 J. Dowse

Known Licensees at the SWANSWELL HOTEL are;
1911 - 1919 John Dowse
1921 - 1927 Arthur J. Dowse
1927 Philip Weston
1929 A. E. Williams
1930 - 1940 Lester Mark Tarrant
1947 Thomas Boag Downing
1958 John Henry Edward Maun
1961 William George Ling
1963 onwards Les Court (see clipping above)

Owners
to 1926 Charringtons
map


Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.