title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Swanswell Cottage Inn

photo

The Swanswell

NAME SWANSWELL COTTAGE INN
ADDRESS 44 LEICESTER STREET
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES SWANSWELL TERRACE, DOG LANE

THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY

See all available records HERE

FROM TO KNOWN AS
1835 1841 SWANSWELL COTTAGE INN
1841 BEERHOUSE
? 1963 SWANSWELL COTTAGE INN

This name refers to a local pool, the Swanswell, which was the source of much of the water used in Coventry.

In 1841 this was the BEERHOUSE, Leicester Street.

In 1961 Jimmy Taylor said 'There is much evidence, both inside and outside, to denote that it goes back at least a couple of centuries, but in 1938 it had a big facelift whch brought it up to date. There are still old oak beams in the bar and smoke room and the old type fireplaces.....A trap door leads down to the cellars which, with their crumbling nature, tell of years gone by'.

There used to be several shops to the right (north) of the pub, demolished before the pub. In front there used to be several rows of houses, many destroyed in the Blitz of 1940. The pub was demolished to make way for the Ring Road in 1963.

Known Licensees at the BEERHOUSE are;
1841 Thomas Eaves

Known Licensees at the SWANSWELL COTTAGE are;
1835 William Bellamy

1850 Thomas Eaves
1861 Samuel Russell
1868 - 1874 Isaac Molesworth & hairdresser
1879 John Beet
1886 J. Greenway
1890 - 1893 J. O. Sidwell
1894 - 1896 Mrs E. M. Sidwell
1903 J. B. Farr
1905 F. G. Hewitt
1909 George H. Twigger
1911 - 1913 William H. L. Masters
1919 - 1927 Alfred Harris
1931 - 1932 H. Heath
1933 - 1938 H. Horne
1939 - 1940 Mary Horne
mid to late 1950's Frank James Allen (see also Cottage, St Johns Street and Hand and Heart, Far Gosford Street
1961 Eric Stout

Owners
1961 Ansells
map
+ -
Click here to see Research

Name Refers to a local pool, the Swanswell, which was the source of much of the water used in Coventry

1818 FDSP P80 Golsby murder
......she saw a man in Leicester Street without shoes going towards the Cottage public house

22.9.1848 JA99 CH&O For sale by auction
All that old established freehold public house, known as the Swanswell Cottage, situate near unto Swanswell Terrace ..... in the occupation of Mr Thomas Eaves, consisitng.....brewhouse, cellar capable of holding 1000 gallons of ale .....

This house was originally built for a private residence .......

1851 Source 49 Board of Health Map

23.5.1851 JA141 CS Transfer of license from J. Fulwell to Samuel Brown

7.10.1859 JA141 CS Transfer of license from Maria Ingram to Charles Williams

28.8.1878 LJ Vol1 P7 Owner : Charles Gloster, Leicester Street, Coventry
Licensee : John Beet
21.8.1880 TOL to Eliza Beet
17.3.1881 TOL to Agnes Ellen Beet
5.7.1883 TOL to Edwin Gloster
24.4.1884 TOL to William Reader
5.11.1885 TOL to John Greenway
27.5.1886 TOL to John Olorenshaw Sidwell
12.4.1893 TOL to Elen Maria Sidwell
19.5.1898 TOL to William Kilpack
10.12.1884 fined 5/- & costs for refusing to admit the police
13.4.1882 fined £ 5 & costs for keeping open

1961 Citypubs 79 There is much evidence, both inside and outside, to denote that it goes back at least a couple of centuries, but in 1938 it had a big facelift which broiught it up to date. there are still old oak beams in the bar and smoke room and the old type fireplaces as was common in old pubs in Coventry. A trap door leads down to the cellars which, with their crumbling nature, tell of years gone by. The house now belongs to Messrs Ansells, the Birmingham brewers.

On the right of the building there used to be several shops which the older generation will still remeber, which have now been demolished. In front there used to be several rows of houses leading down to Silver Street, amny of which were destroyed in the Coventry blitz of 1940. In the near fututre the Corporation are demolishing this propeerty, including the Swanswell Cottage, the Coventry Ambulance Station and the Hospital saturday Fund Offices to make way for the continuation of the Inner Ring Road.

14.10.1963 Closed

LICENSEES

1835 Pigot William Bellamy Dog Lane

1845 Kelly T. Eaves

1850 CS Thomas Eaves

1851 JA141 CS J. Fulwell

1851 JA141 CS Samuel Brown

1859 JA141 CS Maria Ingram

1859 JA141 CS Charles Williams

1861 Census Samuel Russell

1868 Buchanan J. Molesworth

23.11.1868 Lantern Isaac Molesworth

1874 C&B I. Molesworth

1874 CR 101/12/294 footnote I. Molesworth & hairdresser at Silver Street - cottage
1878 LJ Vol1 P7 John Beet
1879 Stevens John Beet
1880 LJ Vol1 P7 John Beet

1880 LJ Vol1 P7 Eliza Beet

1881 C&B E. Beet
1881 LJ Vol1 P7 Eliza Beet
1881 LJ Vol1 P7 Agnes Ellen Beet
1883 LJ Vol1 P7 Agnes Ellen Beet
1883 LJ Vol1 P7 Edwin Gloster
1884 LJ Vol1 P7 Edwin Gloster
1884 LJ Vol1 P7 William Reader
1885 LJ Vol1 P7 William Reader
1885 LJ Vol1 P7 John Greenway
1886 C&B J. Greenway
1886 LJ Vol1 P7 John Greenway
1886 LJ Vol1 P7 John Olorenshaw Sidwell

1890/91 R&G J. O. Sidwell

1893 Reporter J. O. Sidwell
1893 LJ Vol1 P7 John Olorenshaw Sidwell

1893 LJ Vol1 P7 Elen Maria Sidwell

1894 R&G Mrs E. M. Sidwell

1896 R&G Mrs E. M. Sidwell
1898 LJ Vol1 P7 Elen Maria Sidwell

1898 LJ Vol1 P7 William Kilpack

1903 R&G J. B. Farr

1905 R&G F. G. Hewitt

1909 R&G George H. Twigger

1911/12 Spennell William H. L. Masters

1912/13 Spennell William H. L. Masters

1919 Spennell Alfred Harris

1921/22 Spennell Alfred Harris

1924 P. James Alfred Harris

1926/27 P. James Alfred Harris
1931/32 P. James H. Heath

1933/34 P. James H. Horne

1935/36 P. James H. Horne

1937/38 P. James H. Horne

1939/40 P. James Mary Horne

1955/56 Barrett Licensee not named

1957 Barrett Licensee not named

1960 Barrett Licensee not named

1961 Barrett Licensee not named

1961 Citypubs 79 Eric Stout

1962 Barrett Licensee not named

OWNERS

1878 LJ Vol1 P7 Charles Gloster, Leicester Street, Coventry
1898 LJ Vol1 P7 Charles Gloster, Leicester Street, Coventry
1961 Citypubs 79 Ansells

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.