title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Styivichale Arms

photo

Stivichale hamlet, with its timbered cottages and railway bridge bearing the Gregory family coat of arms, pictured here in 1943.

NAME STIVICHALL ARMS
ADDRESS EARLSDON

This pub stood on the edge of Stivichale Common roughly opposite the Chestnuts. It is mentioned in 1861, was to let in 1862 and for sale in 1874. It is also shown on a plan of an estate in the parish of St. Michael and St. John the Baptist dated 1874.

This is an account of events of 1876, published in the Coventry Herald in 1936. 'It was a hard winter....the ponds and pits were covered in ice....the pool or gravel pit situated in Wale's field at the back of the Stivichale Arms was crowded and without any warning the ice gave way and a number of children went down. Five children lost their lives. The bodies were all removed to the Stivichale Arms

The first cycle track was in close vicinity, opened in 1858. The public house was well visited where some of the racing men met and settled their abilities. To others the Stivichale Arms represented just a nice stroll with the opportunity of having a little refreshment.'

Known Licensees are;
to 1862 Mr W. D. Jephcott ( deceased )
1871 Richard Lakin

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.