Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.
The Standard Bearer
A local man bore Edward III's personal standard at the Battle of Crecy in 1346. English longbows were used for the first time and helped the English defeat a French army which was three times as large.
The Standard Bearer opened in 1971. In 1982 this was ' a small modern pub in the middle of a council estate'. It is currently for lease from the Admiral Taverns group.