title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Stag

photo

The Stag Public House, On the corner of Bishop Street (to the right) and Lamb Street (on the left). Photo © Keith Williams and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

NAME STAG
ALTERNATIVE NAMES BEERHOUSE, OLD STAG
ADDRESS BISHOP STREET

The stag is a male red deer in its prime, i.e. in its fifth year. Most of the signs refer to hunts, stag hunting having been a favourite royal sport in the past. Occasionally it is a heraldic reference. In 1835 see the BEERHOUSE, Bishop Street.

In 1982 it was 'instantly recognisable as a Mitchells and Butlers lounge bar created out of what was once a three- roomed pub..........there's an impressive dark wood surround and some genuine mirrors advertising Bass No1 Barley Wine and Atkinsons'.

In 2010 The Stag was sold by Punch Taverns to the next door funeral directors, A. Pargetter & Son. It was to reopen as a free house under new licensees, Clive Hunt and Paul Barrow.

Known Licensees are;
1822 - 1823 John Townsend
1841 Thomas Barnes
1850 James Helson
1861 William Hill
1868 - 1874 James Hopkins
1879 William J. Walker
1881 Joseph or Joshua Jackson
1886 William Hopkins
1890 - 1893 M. A. Hopkins
1894 - 1896 H. Barnett
1903 - 1905 James Stringer
1909 W. Barnett
1911 - 1932 Johnathan Hewitt
1933 - 1934 A. Maiden
1935 - 1936 A. J. Denny
1937 - 1938 W. F. Ryder
1939 - 1940 Frank James
1982 - 1983 Larry Wynne
1993 Jim Holton
2010 Clive Hunt & Paul Barrow
map
+ -
Click here to see Research

Dict PN The stag is a male deer, in its prime, i.e. its fifth year. Most of the signs refer to hunts, stag hunting having been a favourite royal sport in times past. Occassionally ther is a heraldic reference, or a particular incidence is commemorated.

1835 See BEERHOUSE, Bishop Street

1851 Source 49 Board of Health Map

28.8.1878 LJ Vol 1 P 2 STAG, Bishop Street Alehouse
Owner : Edward Merrick, Nambic House, Cheltenham
lessees Atkinsons Ltd
Licensee : James Andrews
3.6.1879 TOL to William James Walker
14.8.1880 TOL to Joseph Jackson
3.4.1881 TOL to Martha Ann Hopkins
21.6.1893 TOL to Henry Barnett This must be the OLD STAG

from 1881 See OLD STAG

LICENSEES

1822/23 Pigot John Townsend

1828/29 Pigot Joseph Hill

1841 Pigot Thomas Barnes

1841 Census Thomas Barnes 40 yo b Wks m Sarah, 30& 3 kids & 6 lodgers

1845 Kelly T. Barnes

1850 CS James Nelson

1851 Census James Nelson 34 yo innkeeper b Comb Fields m Mariott, 30

1861 Census William Hill 54 yo b Coventry m Ann, 52 & 2s, 2d, 1gs, 2 visitors

1868 Buchanan J. Hopkins

23.11.1868 Lantern James Hopkins

1871 Census James. Hopkins

1874 C&B J. Hopkins
28.8.1878 LJ Vol 1 P 2 James Andrews
3.6.1879 LJ Vol 1 P 2 James Andrews

3.6.1879 LJ Vol 1 P 2 William James Walker

1879 Stevens William J. Walker

14.8.1880 LJ Vol 1 P 2 William J. Walker

14.8.1880 LJ Vol 1 P 2 Joseph Jackson

1881 C&B { Joseph Jackson

{ Josh. Jackson
3.4.1881 LJ Vol 1 P 2 Joseph Jackson

3.4.1881 LJ Vol 1 P 2 Martha Ann Hopkins

OWNERS

1878 LJ Vol 1 P 2 Edward Merrick, Nambic House, Cheltenham
1898 LJ Vol 1 P 2 Edward Merrick, Nambic House, Cheltenham
lessees Atkinsons Ltd

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.