title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Squirrel

The Hare and Squirrel, Cow Lane

The Hare and Squirrel, Cow Lane

NAME SQUIRREL
ADDRESS COW LANE
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1765 1994 HARE AND SQUIRREL
1994 c2013 FLANKER AND FIRKIN
c2013 present SQUIRREL
The pub became the FLANKER AND FIRKIN in 1994, then became the SQUIRREL c2010. This was somewhat of a reversion to its original name of HARE AND SQUIRREL
Newspaper article from the 1960s

Newspaper article from the 1960s

Licensees
1822 - 1829 J. Graham
1841 - 1853 Robert Campion & maltster
1850 - 1851 Anna Maria Campion & maltster
1861 Caroline Claridge & maltster
1868 - 1886 Edwin Broom & maltster
1890 - 1891 William Arnett
1893 - 1894 A. W. Hitchin(s)
1896 Lucy E. Stafford
1903 - 1905 Mrs M. Llewellyn
1909 W. H. Timms
1911 - 1924 Alfred Elton
1926 - 1929 A. Petty
New Building
1931 - 1938 C. S. Melbourne
1939 - 1940 Ind, Coope and Alsopp Ltd, Proprietors
1960 Wallace Bennett (see above)
1960 - 1966 D. Maughan
1970 - 1971 Peter Gilbert
Owners
1939/40 Ind, Coope and Alsopp
1962 Ansells

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.