title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Spotted Dog

photo

The Spotted Dog, 12-13 Bull Ring. Image from the Trinity Lodge website

NAME SPOTTED DOG
ADDRESS 12 - 13 BULL RING
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES BUTCHER ROW
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1704 DOG, Butcher Row
1802 c1822 CHICKEN, Bull Ring
c1822 1841 DOG, Butcher Row
1841 1934 SPOTTED DOG, Butcher Row/12-13 Bull Ring, YE OLDE SPOTTED DOG

Is this something to do with bull baiting in the Bull Ring or is it a reference to the three leopards on the coat of arms of the Sydney family.

The gate house through which access was gained to the precincts of the monastery, the Cathedral and priory stood on this site until being pulled down in 1704 by workmen working for Mrs Cave King. The council issued an order for Mrs King to give financial restitution and to rebuild the 'stone arch leading to Priory Court'. After some litigation the ground was sold to Mrs King and the Dog erected on the site.

Here in 1424 the council ordered the making of a bull ring so that nearby butchers could bait bulls before slaughter. The Bull Ring suffered the same fate as Butcher Row, i.e. it is now under Trinity Street.

The Spotted Dog was 12 and 13 Bull Ring, where it joined Butcher Row - one of a row of small properties between Priory Row and New Buildings. In 1929 the license of the Spotted Dog was moved, with that of the White Swan, Hill Street, tp premises to be erected on Beech Tree Avenue, that is the Newlands Hotel.

In 1806 The premises was the meeting place of the Provincial Grand Lodge of Warwickshire (Freemasons)

There is a record that the CHICKEN, Bull Ring changed to the DOG, Butcher Row in 1822

The pub closed in 1930 and was demolished in 1934 in order for the new wide thoroughfare of Trinity Street to replace Butcher Row. During the demolition the west archway of the first Coventry Cathedral was uncovered.

The small properties, including the Spotted Dog, were all replaced by one large black and white building. This was designed to match the old cottages in Priory Row. the English oak for the framework came from Harborough Magna and woodcarving was by Louis and Maurice Harvard from France. Although the exterior was completed in 1938/39, the interior was not fitted out until ten years later due to the war. For many years it was Samuels the jewelers and Timothy Whites chemists, then in 1999 it became Wetherspoon's Flying Standard.

Known Licensees at the DOG are;
1828 - 1829 Richard Evans

Known Licensees at the SPOTTED DOG are;
1841 - 1851 Charles Sumner
1860 Mark Showell
1860 Charles Sumner junior
1868 - 1874 William Brennand tailor & publican
1879 Mrs Elizabeth Batey
1881 C. King
1886 J. Beesley
1890 - 1891 Matthew Moss
1894 James Greenway
1896 Thomas Harvey
1903 - 1919 Henry E. Taylor
1921 - 1924 A. G. Taylor
1926 - 1927 C. S. Coulson
1929 - 1932 A. G. Austin

+ -
Click here to see Research

DICT PN The three leopards on the coat of arms of the Sydney family ? Or was this something to do with the dogs used for bull baiting in the bull ring ?

? ACOV P84B Photo. The Spotted Dog Inn was built in the 18th century on the site of the old proiry's main entrance. The site is now occupied by the Flying Standard. Here in 1424 the council ordered the making of a bull-ring so that nearby butchers could bait bulls before slaughtering. The Bull Ring suffered the same fate as Butcher Row.

1851 Source 49 Board of Health map

1860 FDSDC P114 Fawson murder

Charlotte's body was returned to her brother who lived at the Spotted Dog in the Bull Ring to await burial.

28.9.1860 JA116 Charles Sumner junior, having taken the premises lately in the occupation of Mr M. Showell ..... informs his friends and the public that he intends shortly opening the above premises

5.10.1860 JA CH&O Dog, Butcher Row

Transfer of license from Mark Showell to Charles Sumner junior

28.8.1878 LJ Vol1 P8 Owner : Charles Sumner, Cope Street, Coventry
later Atkinsons Ltd, Birmingham
Licensee : William Swithin Berry
5.6.1879 TOL to Elizabeth Berry
9.7.1880 TOL to Charles King
8.12.1881 TOL to Charles Sumner
19.1.1882 TOL to Tom Sumner
10.8.1882 TOL to John Dunnicliff
17.1.1884 TOL to John Beesley
3.11.1887 TOL to Herbert Harry Archer
24.5.1888 TOL to John Alexander Wakefield Blinkhorn
1.11.1888 TOL to Fred Bonham
6.12.1888 TOL to Robert John Read
9.1.1890 TOL to Matthew Moss
30.10.1890 TOL to Thomas Henry Bird
5.6.1891 TOL to Henry Hawson
17.5.1894 TOL to Ann Elizabeth Hawson
25.10.1894 TOL to James Greenway
1.1.1896 TOL to Thomas Hawey
22.4.1886 fined 10/- & costs for tradeing on Sunday
22.7.1889 fined £ 2 for permitting gambling
17.3.1894 fined £ 5 & costs for selling during prohibited hours

1887 COC P55 Cov Times Inn signs

1920 COCIP P81 Photo

Looking north down Great Butcher Row in 1920

....to the right ...the building with the apex facing the street ( near the bottom ) is the Spotted Dog pub which was built on the site of the entrance gate to the Priory.

1929 POLICE License of the White Swan, Hill Street, surrendered for the removal of the Spotted Dog, Bull Ring, to premises to be erected in Beech Tree Avenue ( the Newlands ).

1930 POLICE License transferred to the Newlands, Tile Hill Lane.

c1930 Closed

c26.7.1934 HOH P37 West archway to the Cathedral found on demolition of this pub

c26.7.1934 HOH P37 Demolished

21.10.1998 News 2-1 Building that replaced the pub

LICENSEES

1828/29 Pigot Richard Evans

1841 Pigot Charles Sumner

1845 Kelly C. Sumner

1850 COS Charles Sumner

1851 Census Charles Sumner 54 yo b War m Sarah, 55

1860 JA116 CH&O Mark Showell

1860 JA116 CH&O Charles Sumner jumior

1868 Buchanan W. Brennand

23.11.1868 Lantern William Brennand

1871 Census William Brennand 50 yo tailor & publican b ? m Anne, 47

1874 C&B W. Brennand ( Spon St ?? ) [ & 1 servant, 1 boarder
1878 LJ Vol1 P8 William Swithin Berry
1879 LJ Vol1 P8 William Swithin Berry
1879 LJ Vol1 P8 Elizabeth Berry
1879 Stevens Mrs Elizabeth Batey
1880 LJ Vol1 P8 Elizabeth Berry
1880 LJ Vol1 P8 Charles King

1881 C&B C. King
1881 LJ Vol1 P8 Charles King
1881 LJ Vol1 P8 Charles Sumner
1882 LJ Vol1 P8 Charles Sumner
1882 LJ Vol1 P8 Tom Sumner
1882 LJ Vol1 P8 John Dunnicliff
1884 LJ Vol1 P8 John Dunnicliff
1884 LJ Vol1 P8 John Beesley

1886 C&B J. Beesley
1887 LJ Vol1 P8 John Beesley
1887 LJ Vol1 P8 Herbert Harry Archer
1888 LJ Vol1 P8 Herbert Harry Archer

1888 LJ Vol1 P8 John Alexander Wakefield Blinkhorn
1888 LJ Vol1 P8 Fred Bonham
1888 LJ Vol1 P8 Robert John Read
1890 LJ Vol1 P8 Robert John Read
1890 LJ Vol1 P8 Matthew Moss

1890/91 R&G Matthew Moss
1890 LJ Vol1 P8 Thomas Henry Bird
1891 LJ Vol1 P8 Thomas Henry Bird

1891 LJ Vol1 P8 Henry Hawson
1894 LJ Vol1 P8 Henry Hawson

1894 LJ Vol1 P8 Ann Elizabeth Hawson
1894 LJ Vol1 P8 James Greenway

1894 R&G James Greenway
1896 LJ Vol1 P8 James Greenway

1896 LJ Vol1 P8 Thomas Harvey

1896 R&G Thomas Harvey

1898 LJ Vol1 P8 Thomas Harvey

1903 R&G H. E. Taylor

1905 R&G H. E. Taylor

1909 R&G H. E. Taylor

1911/12 Spennell H. E. Taylor

1912/13 Spennell H. E. Taylor Ye Olde Spotted Dog

1919 Spennell Henry E. Taylor Ye Olde Spotted Dog

1921/22 Spennell A. G. Taylor Ye Olde Spotted Dog

1924 P. James A. G. Taylor Ye Olde Spotted Dog

1926/27 P. James C. S. Coulson Ye Olde Spotted Dog

1929 P. James A. G. Austin Ye Olde Spotted Dog

1931/32 P. James A. G. Austin Ye Olde Spotted Dog

OWNERS

1878 LJ Vol1 P8 Charles Sumner, Cope Street, Coventry
later LJ Vol1 P8 Atkinsons Ltd, Birmingham

DICT PN The three leopards on the coat of arms of the Sydney family ? Or was this something to do with the dogs used for bull baiting in the bull ring ?

? ACOV P84B Photo. The Spotted Dog Inn was built in the 18th century on the site of the old proiry's main entrance. The site is now occupied by the Flying Standard. Here in 1424 the council ordered the making of a bull-ring so that nearby butchers could bait bulls before slaughtering. The Bull Ring suffered the same fate as Butcher Row.

1851 Source 49 Board of Health map

1860 FDSDC P114 Fawson murder

Charlotte's body was returned to her brother who lived at the Spotted Dog in the Bull Ring to await burial.

28.9.1860 JA116 Charles Sumner junior, having taken the premises lately in the occupation of Mr M. Showell ..... informs his friends and the public that he intends shortly opening the above premises

5.10.1860 JA CH&O Dog, Butcher Row

Transfer of license from Mark Showell to Charles Sumner junior

28.8.1878 LJ Vol1 P8 Owner : Charles Sumner, Cope Street, Coventry
later Atkinsons Ltd, Birmingham
Licensee : William Swithin Berry
5.6.1879 TOL to Elizabeth Berry
9.7.1880 TOL to Charles King
8.12.1881 TOL to Charles Sumner
19.1.1882 TOL to Tom Sumner
10.8.1882 TOL to John Dunnicliff
17.1.1884 TOL to John Beesley
3.11.1887 TOL to Herbert Harry Archer
24.5.1888 TOL to John Alexander Wakefield Blinkhorn
1.11.1888 TOL to Fred Bonham
6.12.1888 TOL to Robert John Read
9.1.1890 TOL to Matthew Moss
30.10.1890 TOL to Thomas Henry Bird
5.6.1891 TOL to Henry Hawson
17.5.1894 TOL to Ann Elizabeth Hawson
25.10.1894 TOL to James Greenway
1.1.1896 TOL to Thomas Hawey
22.4.1886 fined 10/- & costs for tradeing on Sunday
22.7.1889 fined £ 2 for permitting gambling
17.3.1894 fined £ 5 & costs for selling during prohibited hours

1887 COC P55 Cov Times Inn signs

1920 COCIP P81 Photo

Looking north down Great Butcher Row in 1920

....to the right ...the building with the apex facing the street ( near the bottom ) is the Spotted Dog pub which was built on the site of the entrance gate to the Priory.

1929 POLICE License of the White Swan, Hill Street, surrendered for the removal of the Spotted Dog, Bull Ring, to premises to be erected in Beech Tree Avenue ( the Newlands ).

1930 POLICE License transferred to the Newlands, Tile Hill Lane.

c1930 Closed

c26.7.1934 HOH P37 West archway to the Cathedral found on demolition of this pub

c26.7.1934 HOH P37 Demolished

21.10.1998 News 2-1 Building that replaced the pub

LICENSEES

1828/29 Pigot Richard Evans

1841 Pigot Charles Sumner

1845 Kelly C. Sumner

1850 COS Charles Sumner

1851 Census Charles Sumner 54 yo b War m Sarah, 55

1860 JA116 CH&O Mark Showell

1860 JA116 CH&O Charles Sumner jumior

1868 Buchanan W. Brennand

23.11.1868 Lantern William Brennand

1871 Census William Brennand 50 yo tailor & publican b ? m Anne, 47

1874 C&B W. Brennand ( Spon St ?? ) [ & 1 servant, 1 boarder
1878 LJ Vol1 P8 William Swithin Berry
1879 LJ Vol1 P8 William Swithin Berry
1879 LJ Vol1 P8 Elizabeth Berry
1879 Stevens Mrs Elizabeth Batey
1880 LJ Vol1 P8 Elizabeth Berry
1880 LJ Vol1 P8 Charles King

1881 C&B C. King
1881 LJ Vol1 P8 Charles King
1881 LJ Vol1 P8 Charles Sumner
1882 LJ Vol1 P8 Charles Sumner
1882 LJ Vol1 P8 Tom Sumner
1882 LJ Vol1 P8 John Dunnicliff
1884 LJ Vol1 P8 John Dunnicliff
1884 LJ Vol1 P8 John Beesley

1886 C&B J. Beesley
1887 LJ Vol1 P8 John Beesley
1887 LJ Vol1 P8 Herbert Harry Archer
1888 LJ Vol1 P8 Herbert Harry Archer

1888 LJ Vol1 P8 John Alexander Wakefield Blinkhorn
1888 LJ Vol1 P8 Fred Bonham
1888 LJ Vol1 P8 Robert John Read
1890 LJ Vol1 P8 Robert John Read
1890 LJ Vol1 P8 Matthew Moss

1890/91 R&G Matthew Moss
1890 LJ Vol1 P8 Thomas Henry Bird
1891 LJ Vol1 P8 Thomas Henry Bird

1891 LJ Vol1 P8 Henry Hawson
1894 LJ Vol1 P8 Henry Hawson

1894 LJ Vol1 P8 Ann Elizabeth Hawson
1894 LJ Vol1 P8 James Greenway

1894 R&G James Greenway
1896 LJ Vol1 P8 James Greenway

1896 LJ Vol1 P8 Thomas Harvey

1896 R&G Thomas Harvey

1898 LJ Vol1 P8 Thomas Harvey

1903 R&G H. E. Taylor

1905 R&G H. E. Taylor

1909 R&G H. E. Taylor

1911/12 Spennell H. E. Taylor

1912/13 Spennell H. E. Taylor Ye Olde Spotted Dog

1919 Spennell Henry E. Taylor Ye Olde Spotted Dog

1921/22 Spennell A. G. Taylor Ye Olde Spotted Dog

1924 P. James A. G. Taylor Ye Olde Spotted Dog

1926/27 P. James C. S. Coulson Ye Olde Spotted Dog

1929 P. James A. G. Austin Ye Olde Spotted Dog

1931/32 P. James A. G. Austin Ye Olde Spotted Dog

OWNERS

1878 LJ Vol1 P8 Charles Sumner, Cope Street, Coventry
later LJ Vol1 P8 Atkinsons Ltd, Birmingham

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.