title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Spittlemore Inn

photo

The Spittlemore Inn

NAME SPITTLEMOORE INN
ALTERNATIVE NAMES SPITTLEMOOR, SPITTLEMORE
ADDRESS 120 LOWER FORD STREET
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES 1 HOOD STREET

The Spittlemore was the area of land north of the city walls bounded by the River Sherbourne and Springfield Brook, which drains the Swanswell. The two joined at Gosford Bridge. Presumably between these two water courses was a wet moorland at one time - the Spittlemoore. Both water courses are culverted now and pass nearby the pub.

The first known owner of the lands called 'Spittlemoore' was Frances Broughton of Cawston Hall near Dunchurch, who in 1707 left the Spittlemoore to a charity committee to provide a school for Dunchurch.

The Spittlemoore was tenanted by Charles Ash and John Poole, later by Margaret Burrows (a widow) and Tranter (no christian name), then Thomas White, a baker, then Thomas Sanders, a butcher from Jordan Well, then Peter Walker, a publican and butcher and then by William Moore, a butcher. The land was divided into five enclosures. This all suggests that it was used to stockade cattle brought into the city for slaughter. The combination of publican and butcher was quite a common one as both trades fed the populace.

In 1853 the charity committee applied to and gained permission from the Master of the Rolls to sell the lands and invest the resultant funds for the good of the charity. The Spittlemoore, consisting of 15 acres, was sold to John Warden, a plumber and glazier, and William Henry Marston, a pawnbroker, for £5479/1s/3d.

In a deed of 1856 we learn that several new streets had been laid out by Warden and Marston on the 'Spittlemoore Estate', including one called or to be called 'Ford Street', and that numbered plots of land were being sold by then along Ford Street. Plot owners were forbidden 'to erect or suffer to be erected any brick kiln or make or burn or suffer to be made or burnt and bricks, tiles or quarries thereon'.

Since the plots were sold individually, building took place over a number of years into the 1870's, unlike a modern estate where all the houses are built at more or less the same time. In 1860 we have a record of the transfer of the license from Joseph Horton to Andrew Sumner but in 1861 a new license for the Spittlemoore Inn was granted to its first licensee, William Langley.

In 1985 it was 'a pleasant small pub in a redevelopment area which has been renovated inside but not outside'. It had closed by 2010 and became a Lebanese restaurant.

Known Licensees are;
1860 Joseph Horton
1860 Andrew Sumner
1861 - 1871 William Langley architect & licensed victualler
1879 - 1893 Arthur Harris
1894 W. J. Mills
1896 B. Keene
1903 Mrs L. Keene
1905 - 1913 Mrs L. Thrasher
1919 - 1924 William Thrasher
1926 - 1938 H. F. Welch
1939 - 1940 R. C. Roberts
1993 M. Walsh
1993 - 1995 Fred Luckett
1995 M. Walsh
map

+ -
Click here to see Research

A HISORY OF THE SPITTLEMOORE INN

The Spittlemoore was the area of land to the north of the City Walls bounded by the River Sherbourne and the Springfield Brook, which drains the Swanswell. The two joined at Gosford Bridge. Presumably between these two water course was a wet moorland at one time - both are culverted and pass nearby the pub now.

The first owner of the lands called ' Spittlemoore ' was Francis Boughton of Cawston Hall near Dunchurch, who in 1707 left the Spittlemoore to a charity committee to provide a school for Dunchurch.

The Spittlemoore was tenanted by Charles Ash and John Poole, later Margaret Burrowes ( a widow ) and Tranter ( no christian name ! ), then Thomas White, a baker, then Thomas Sanders, a butcher from Jordan Well, then Peter Walker, a publican and butcher, and then by William Moore, a butcher. The land was divided into 5 enclosures. This suggests thast it was being used to stockade cattle brought to the city for slaughter. The combination of publican and butcher was quite a common one since both trades fed the population.

In 1853 the charity committee applied to, and gained permission from, the Master of the Rolls, to sell the lands and invest the resultant funds for the good of the charity. The Spittlemoore, consisting of 15 acres, was sold toJohn Warden, a plumber and glazier and William Henry Marston, a pawnbroker, for £ 5479.1s.3d.

In a deed of 1856 we learn that several new streets have been laid out by Warden and Marston in the ' Spittlemoore Estate ', including one called or to be called ' Ford Street ', and that numbered plots of land are being sold by them along Ford Street. Plot owners were forbidden ' to erect and brick kiln or make or burn or suffer to be made or burnt any bricks, tiles or quarries thereon.

` Since the plots were sold individually, building seems to have taken place over a number of years into the 1870's, unlike a modern estate where all the houses are built at the same time.

Fred Luckett from Coventry Record Office TC/L/1/872

Coventry & Warwickshire Collection

5.10.1860 JA16 CS Transfer of license from Joseph Horton to Andrew Sumner BUT.....

28.8.1878 LJ Vol 1 P23 SPITTLEMORE, Hood Street Alehouse
Owner : Thomas Hughes, solicitor, Coventry
later Robert Choules, Coventry
later Northampton Brewery Co Ltd
Licensee : Arthur Harris
21.6.1893 TOL to William Josiah Mills
5.12.1895 TOL to Bradley Keen

1895 CBH P95 KEEN CYCLE CO ( Bicycles )
50 Spon Street
From 1896 they traded from Coventry. John Thompson Keen, known as Jack, was born at Broadway, Worcestershire in 1849. He is celebrated now as one of the first cycle racers from 1870. In 1891 Jack's younger brothers Arthur ( b 1858 ) and Alfred ( b 1861 ) were seen to be living in Coventry. Arthur, known in the racing circles as ' Bradley ' Keen, died in Coventry in 1902 whilst the licensed victualler of the Spittlemoor Inn on Lower Ford Street. ( Bradley Keen was licensee from 1895 )

30.8.1961 JA16 CS New license granted to William Langley for the Spittlemoore

1906 OS Map

1982 WRAG2 Mixed clientele, pub looks tatty outside but inside it is quite pleasant

1985 CCRAG A pleasant small pub in a redevelopment area which has been renovated inside but not outside.

LICENSEES

1861 JA16 CS William Langley ( new license - but see above )

1861 Census William Langley 36 yo architects clerk b Pailton m Sarah, 37 & 3d, 1s,

1868 Buchanan W. Langley [ 1 grandfather

1871 Census William Langley 45 yo architect & licensed victualler b Pailton m Sarah, 46
1878 LJ Vol 1 P23 Arthur Harris [ & 3d
1879 Stevens Arthur Harris

1881 C&B A. Harris

1886 C&B A. Harris

1890/91 R&G A. Harris

1893 Reporter A. Harris
1878 LJ Vol 1 P23 Arthur Harris
1893 LJ Vol 1 P23 William Josiah Mills
1894 R&G W. J. Mills
1895 LJ Vol 1 P23 Bradley Keen ( cycle trade - see CBH above )
1896 R&G B. Keene
1898 LJ Vol 1 P23 Bradley Keen
1902 CBH P95 Bradley Keen - died
1903 R&G Mrs L. Keene

1905 R&G Mrs L. Thrasher

1909 R&G Mrs L. Thrasher

1911/12 Spennell L. H. Thrasher

1912/13 Spennell L. H. Thrasher

1919 Spennell William Thrasher

1921/22 Spennell William Thrasher

1924 P. James William Thrasher

1926/27 P. James H. F. Welch

1929 P. James H. F. Welch

1931/32 P. James H. F. Welch

1933/34 P. James H. F. Welch

1935/36 P. James H. F. Welch

1937/38 P. James H. F. Welch

1939/40 P. James R. C. Roberts

1953 LTSD

1993 Mick Walsh

1993 Fred Luckett

1995 Fred Luckett

1995 Mick Walsh

OWNERS

1878 LJ Vol 1 P23 Thomas Hughes, solicitor, Coventry
later LJ Vol 1 P23 Robert Choules, Coventry
later LJ Vol 1 P23 Northampton Brewery Co Ltd
1898 LJ Vol 1 P23 Northampton Brewery Co Ltd

Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.