|ALTERNATIVE NAMES|| SMITHFIELD INN, SMITHFIELD TAVERN
|ADDRESS||33 HALES STREET|
|ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES||10 HALES STREET|
This name is a reference to Smithfield Market in London which specialises in meat and poultry. The pub was built on the site of Coventry's similarly named one-time cattle market. This had been opened by the City Council to bring the city's previously scattered livestock sales to one place.
In 1859 there is a record of the sale of wood in ground adjoining the Smithfield Hotel. In 1862 the land belonged to the estate of the Free Grammar School. It was leased to a Mr. King for 42 years for £5, the lease ending in 1900. Mr King had erected a public house on the property called the Smithfield Tavern. There was also a small portion of the land once occupied by the cattle market that was leased by Coventry Corporation.
In 1906 the Grammar School still owned the site and leased the pub to Phillips and Marriott for 14 years for £205 per annum. In 1914 the lease was extended for a further 14 years.
In 1985 it was described as a 'city centre mock Tudor pub'. In 2010 it was demolished as part of the Phoenix (Millenium) project and the site is currently a garden.
1861 - 1868 William King
1871 William Johnson
1874 W. Thompson
1879 Guy Fowkes
1886 George Sumner
1890 - 1891 S. Redgrave
1893 - 1894 E. Redgrave
1896 - 1905 William B. Viggers
1906 - 1912 Thomas Pegg Turman
1912 - 1913 Henry Rowbottom
1914 - 1922 Reuben Watts
1924 - 1929 W. L. Eggington
1931 - 1938 S. W. Bennett
1939 - 1958 H. V. Taylor see also at The Bell, Tile Hill
1862 - 1914 Free Grammar School
DICT PN A refence to Smithfield Market in London, which specialises in meat and poultry. Close to the site of Coventry's one-time cattle market.
1847 Source 34 P12 Plates I & VI
........mill dam of Priory Mill, wherof the waters, let off in 1847 - 1848, omce covered what is now called Smithfield.
1.4.1859 JA16 CS Sale of wood on adjoining ground.
1862 Poole P255 Estates belonging to the Free Grammar School.
Land in Hales Street leased to Mr J. King for forty-two years. Lease ends in 1900; lessee has erected a public-house on the property, called the Smithfield Tavern.
£ 5 0s 0d
( The cattle market or Smithfield, Hales Street, on lease for forty years to the Corporation, lease end about 1895, a small portion of this land was claimed by the Corporation
£ 8 0s 0d )
c1874 CMcarH P141 Vernon Cycle & Motor Co Ltd
.....an interesting partnership that existed between Oliver Perkins and Eliza Cleaver.
Eliza Cleaver ( b 1847 ) was the widow of William Johnson, watchmaker and landlord of the Smithfield Hotel in Hales Street. When he died in 1890 Eliza continued in the pub trade and was known to have run the White Swan on Hill Street.
24.3.1876 JA141 CH&O Transfer of license from William Thompson to Guy Fowkes
28.8.1878 LJ Vol 1 P15 SMITHFIELD INN, Hales Street Alehouse
Owner : Guy Fowkes ( these two must be lessees )
later William Barth Viggers ( see licensees below )
later Grammar School Trustees
Licensee : Guy Fowkes
15.1.1885 TOL to George Sumner
4.11.1886 TOL to Elisha Redgrave
26.7.1895 TOL to William Baerth Viggers
1900 COCIP P57 Photo
Looking east down Hales Street in 1900. The lower wall section, which is in fact brick pillars interspersed by wrought ironwork marks the site of the Smithfield. This was the city's cattle and livestock market opened by the City Council to bring the city's scattered livestock sales to one place. No view of the pub.
25.12.1906 P&M PR Leased by Phillips & Marriott for 14 years for £ 205. Owners the Governors of the Coventry Grammar School.
25.12.1914 P&M PR Lease extended for 14 years
1979 WRAG2 Large noisy city centre pub with handpumpds in the back lounge only. Front bars given over to young pool players, and electric pumps. New sign directs the drinker to the real ale.
1985 CCRAG A city centre mock tudor pub with the front lounge using electric pumps and the rear ' traditional beer ' bar using handpumps. Pool tables and discos in the front bar.
22.11.2010 Source 26 Demolished as part of the Phoenix ( Millenium ) Project and the site is currently landscaped pending development.
1861 Census William King 51 yo b Hinckley m Eliza, 37 & 1s, 1 sister
1862 Poole P255 Mr J. King Smithfield Tavern
1868 Buchanan W. King
23.11.1868 Lantern William King
1871 Census William Johnstone 23yo innkeeper b Stroud m Eliza, 23 & 1d, 1 servant
1874 C&B W. Thompson Smithfield Hotel
1876 JA141 CH&O William Thompson
1876 JA141 CH&O Guy Fowkes
1878 LJ Vol 1 P15 Guy Fowkes
1879 Stevens Guy Fowkes
1885 LJ Vol 1 P15 Guy Fowkes
1885 LJ Vol 1 P15 George Sumner
1886 C&B George Sumner
1886 LJ Vol 1 P15 George Sumner
1886 LJ Vol 1 P15 Elisha Redgrave
1890-91 R&G S. Redgrave
1893 Reporter E. Redgrave
1894 R&G E. Redgrave
1895 LJ Vol 1 P15 Elisha Redgrave
1895 LJ Vol 1 P15 William Baerth Viggers
1896 R&G William B. Viggers
1898 LJ Vol 1 P15 William Baerth Viggers
1903 R&G William B. Viggers
1905 R&G William B. Viggers
21.12.1906 P&M PR Thomas Pegg Turman
1909 P&M PR Tom P. Furman Hotel
1.6.1910 P&M PR Thomas Pegg Turman new agreement
1911/12 Spennell T. P. Turman
1912/13 Spennell Henry Robottom
23.9.1914 P&M PR Reuben Watts
1919 Spennell Reuben Watts Smithfield Inn
1921/22 Spennell Reuben Watts " "
24.10.1922 P&M PR Reuben Watts dies
1924 P. James W. L. Eggington
1926/27 P. James W. L. Eggington
1929 P. James W. L. Eggington
1931/32 P. James S. W. Bennett
1933/34 P. James S. W. Bennett
1935/36 P. James S. W. Bennett
1937/38 P. James S. W. Bennett
1939/40 P. James H. V. Taylor
1955/56 Barrett Licensee not named
1957 Barrett Licensee not named
1960 Barrett Licensee not named
1961 Barrett Licensee not named
1962 Barrett Licensee not named
1862 Poole P255 Free Grammar School
1878 LJ Vol 1 P15 Grammar School Trustees
1898 LJ Vol 1 P15 Grammar School Trustees
1906 P&M PR Coventry Grammar School
1914 P&M PR Coventry Grammar School
Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.