title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Sir Robert Napier

photo
NAME SIR ROBERT NAPIER
ADDRESS WELL STREET
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1822 1841 FOLESHILL TAVERN
1841 1864 GRAZIERS ARMS, GLAZIERS ARMS, OLD GLAZIERS ARMS
1864 SHAMROCK
1870 SIR ROBERT NAPIER
1871 1930 ROSE Did this now incorporate the PACKHORSE next door?

Field Marshal Robert Cornelis Napier, 1st Baron Napier of Magdala, GCB, GCSI, FRS (6 December 1810 – 14 January 1890) was a Indian Army officer. He fought in the First Anglo-Sikh War and the Second Anglo-Sikh War before seeing action as chief engineer during the second relief of Lucknow in March 1858 during the Indian Mutiny. He also served in the Second Opium War as commander of the 2nd division of the expeditionary force which took part in the Battle of Taku Forts in August 1860, the entry to Peking in September 1860 and the destruction of the Old Summer Palace in October 1860. He subsequently led the punitive expedition to Abyssinia July 1867, defeating the Emperor Tewodros II of Ethiopia with minimal loss of life among his own forces but looting many historical and religious artifacts; these artifacts still reside in collections in the UK, despite representations by various parties for their return.

This pub is only recorded in 1870. In July all the stock was for sale and in November we have a record of the Rose, formerly the Sir Robert Napier. It is thought to have been at 5 Well Street and formerly the Shamrock.

Known Licensees Foleshill Tavern are;
1822 - 1829 W. Reese

Known Licensees Graziers Arms are;
1841 Thomas Maycock
1845 - 1855 William Merridew
1855 - 1864 Harriet Merridew

Known Licensees Shamrock are;
to 1864 Harriet Merridew
from 1864 Thomas Loudon

Known Licensees Packhorse are;
1822 - 1823 F. Jackson
1835 Henry Simpson
1861 Harriet Merridew
1868 John Vice
1868 J. G. Cashmore

Known Licensees Rose Inn are;
1871 James Wilcox
1874 Edward Fossey
1881 F. Leeson
1886 - 1891 S. Eburne
1893 J. Bottrill
1894 Mrs. E. Adderton
1896 - 1903 Samuel Hubbard
1905 H. Pendleton
1909 A. Spicer
1911 - 1919 John Pears
1921 - 1922 E. Williamson
1929 W. H. Yates

Owners;
1890 - 1894 Mrs L. J. Cardingley
photo

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.