title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Sir Colin Campbell

photo
NAME SIR COLIN CAMPBELL
ADDRESS 122 GOSFORD STREET
THIS PREMISES HAS BEEN KNOWN BY DIFFERENT NAMES DURING ITS HISTORY FROM TO KNOWN AS
1720 PARROT AND GRIFFIN
1772 1851 GRIFFIN
1868 ? SIR COLIN CAMPBELL, CAMPBELL
? 2011 SCREAM, IT'S A SCREAM
2011 present PHOENIX
Colin Cambell (1792 - 1863) was a distinguished British field - marshall, mainly remembered for the releif of Lucknow, India in 1857. He was made Baron Clyde of Clydesdale in 1858.

In a marriage settlement of June 1720 Joseph Ash, Coventry beer brewer, settles this pub on his son, Joseph Ash junior and Bridgett Sturgess. The name was then the PARROT AND GRIFFIN. By 1773 when an auction was held on the premises, JCM 15/2/1773, it was referred to as the GRIFFIN. It is mentioned again as the GRIFFIN in a mortgage document dated 1789 and that name remained until 1868 when the name changed to the SIR COLIN CAMPBELL.

In the 1980's it was a 'large popular Victorian pub recently modernised' and 'a popular pub particularly with the students from the nearby Polytechnic'.

In 1995 a cellar was found behind the Colin Campbell pub. This cellar was actually set back from the historic street frontage, apparently behind the building which people would see as they walked along the street. It was dated to 1380 - 1410, the hatday of such cellars in Coventry, but had been un-foofed and filled in during the nineteenth century. The location of these cellars, almost shoe-horned in, might suggest that as a staus symbol they were sought after, but that their construction might be too disruptive to dig under existing buildings. The cellar under the Sir Colin Campbell contained a west window: on that plot there was evidence of non-ferous metalworking, so a west window would allow work to go on indoors, even in bad weather, late into the afternoon, making use of the afternoon light. It would also ventilate the cellar if oit was being used for work rather than storage. All of this appears to preclude its use as an alehouse at that date.

In the 1920s the pub was a main venue for jazz in the city and this continued to the 1970s. In the 1990s the name was shortened to the CAMPBELL and in 2011 became the PHOENIX. This was also named SCREAM or IT'S A SCREAM for a while, after the Scream pub chain, part of the Stonegate Pub Company.

Known Licensees at the GRIFFIN are;
1841 Johnathan Bray
1845 - 1851 William Bray brewer & victualler
1861 George Robinson victualler & whitesmith

Known Licensees at the SIR COLIN CAMPBELL are;
1868 William Graham
1871 Sarah Graham
1874 - 1879 Thomas Preedy
1881 - 1905 Edwin Wall
1909 Mrs H. Wall
1911 - 1929 Samuel Eggington
1931 - 1932 W. L. Eggington
1933 - 1936 J. E. Tyler
1937 - 1940 P. R. Suffolk
1982 Anthony Smith

map

+ -
Click here to see Research

Dict PN Colin Campbell ( 1792 - 1863 ) was a distinguished British Field- Marshall, mainly remembered for the releif of Lucknow, India in 1857. He was made Baron Clyde of Clydesdale in 1858.

Before 1868 See GRIFFIN

News 87 Name

28.8.1878 LJ Vol 1 P35 SIR COLIN CAMPBELL, Gosford Street Alehouse
Owner : Mary Ann Lenton, Hertford Terrace
later James Eadie Ltd, Burton on Trent
Licensee : Thomas Preedy
19.3.1880 TOL to Edwin Wall

1887 COC Cov Times Inn signs

CS2 Photo ' Bass '.

1977 WRAG 1

1981 WRAG 2 Good quality working class local.

1982 WRAG 3 Large popular Victorian pub recently modernised. Close to Lanchester Ploytechnic and Coventry Swimming Baths.

1982 Pubscrawl 27 This is a large Edwardian building on the corner of Gosford Street and Whitefriars Street. Back in the dim and distant past it boasted the first cocktail bar in Coventry. that's now been converted into a games room.

1985 CCRAG A popular pub particularly with the students from the nearby Polytechnic. Soon to be called simply ' Campbell's '. Live music on Thursdays, shut on Sunday lunchtimes.

CovHH P23 A fourteenth-century cellar on Bayley Lane was actually set back from the historic street frontage, apparently behind the building which people would see as they walked along the street. This would not be remarkable except that in 1995 a roughly contemperory cellar was exposed in a similar position behind the Phoenix public house

( then the Sir Colin Campbell ). It was dated to the period 1380 - 1410, the heyday of such cellars in the city, but had been unroofed and filled in during the nineteenth century. The location of these cellars, almost shoe-horned in, might suggest that as a status symbol they were sought after, but that their construction might be too disruptive to dig under exisitng buildings.

Converely, the cellar beneath the Phoenix / Sir Colin Campbell in Gosford Street contained a west window: on that plot was evidence of non-ferous metalworking, so a west window would allow work to go on indoors, even in bad weather, jate into the afternoon, making use of the afternoon light. It would also ventilate the cellar if it was being used for work, rather than storage.

LICENSEES

23.11.1868 Lantern William Graham

1874 C&B Thomas Preedy
1878 LJ Vol 1 P35 Thomas Preedy
1879 Stevens Thomas Preedy
1880 LJ Vol 1 P35 Thomas Preedy
1880 LJ Vol 1 P35 Edwin Wall
1881 C&B Edwin Wall

1886 C&B Edwin Wall

1890/91 R&G Edwin Wall

1893 Reporter Edwin Wall

1894 R&G Edwin Wall

1896 R&G Edwin Wall
1898 LJ Vol 1 P35 Edwin Wall
1903 R&G Edwin Wall

1905 R&G Edwin Wall

1909 R&G Mrs H. Wall

1911/12 Spennell Samuel Eggington

1912/13 Spennell Samuel Eggington

1919 Spennell Samuel Eggington

1921/22 Spennell Samuel Eggington

1924 P. James Samuel Eggington

1926/27 P. James S. Eggington

1929 P. James S. Eggington

1931/32 P. James W. L. Eggington

1933/34 P. James J. E. Tyler

1935/36 P. James J. E. Tyler

1937/38 P. James P. R. Suffolk

1939/40 P. James P. R. Suffolk

1955/56 Barrett Licensee not named Hotel

1957 Barrett Not listed in street section Hotel

1960 Barrett Licensee not named Hotel

1961 Barrett Licensee not named Hotel

1962 Barrett Not listed in street section Hotel

1966 Barrett

1982 Pubscrawl 27 Anthony Smith

OWNERS

1878 LJ Vol 1 P35 Mary Ann Lenton, Hertford Terrace
later LJ Vol 1 P35 James Eadie Ltd, Burton on Trent
1898 LJ Vol 1 P35 James Eadie Ltd, Burton on Trent

Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.