title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Shoulder of Mutton

photo
NAME SHOULDER OF MUTTON INN
PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS BEERHOUSE
ADDRESS OLD CHURCH ROAD, BELL GREEN
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES FOLESHILL
A shoulder of mutton was a popular dish at inns. In some inns it may have indicated that the innkeeper was also the local butcher. In 1840 the pub was used for auctions. In 1866 Thomas Hughes conveyed this pub to T. Dewes for £45. In 1874 it was the Beerhouse, Bell Green.
Known Licensees are;
1840 - 1845 Joseph Lowe & butcher
1850 Thomas Humphries
1863 Reuben Deeming
1866 Richard Harvey
1868 - 1874 William Butcher (Beerhouse license)
1879 David Shaw
1887 Thomas Parrish (see also Beerhouse New Inn Bridge, 1850 and Beerhouse Walsgrave, 1851)
1929 - 1932 W. Loucas
1935 - 1936 F. W. Fear
1937 - 1938 F. C. Smith
Owners
to 1866 Thomas Hughes
from 1866 T. Dewes

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.