title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Shamrock

NAME SHAMROCK
ADDRESS 42 SHERBOURNE STREET
ALTERNATIVE ADDRESSES 87 SPON STREET

The shamrock is the national emblem of Ireland See the BEERHOUSE, Sherbourne Street, Brown.

In 1840 a wager of £ 2 was arranged here for a foot race between Carpenter and Smith and in 1842 an inquest was held at the pub.

In 1907 the Police objected to the license, but it was renewed by the Justices. the Police appear to have got their man the next year though, as the pub closed c1908 and afterwards the premises was Adams the baker, then Eastmans butchers, then a hardare shop before being demolished during World War 2.

Known Licensees are;
1850 - 1851 Samuel Brown innkeeper & watchmaker
1868 Alfred Brown
1871 Amelia Beer
1874 J. Beers
1879 Edward H. Walter
1881 - 1894 William Robinson
1903 - 1905 William S. Richards
map

+ -
Click here to see Research

NAME The emblem of Ireland

15.5.1840 JA16 CS First mentioned when a wager of £2 was fixed here for a footrace between Carpenter and Smith.

21.10.1842 JA16 CS Inquest held at this pub.

31.5.1844 JA34 CS Mention of Shamrock Tavern

1851 Source 49 Board of Trade Map
Corner of Spon Street and Sherbourne Street

10.11.1866 JA141 CS Transfer of licensefrom Joseph Nicholls to Thomas Barnwell

9.11.1867 JA141 CS Transfer of license from Thomas Barnwell to Alfred Brown

28.8.1878 LJ Vol 1 P50 SHAMROCK, Spon Street Alehouse
Owner : Joseph Rigg, Well Street
later John Nutt, Fillongley
later Atkinsons Ltd, Aston, Birmingham
Licensee : Henry Edward Walter
4.11.1880 TOL to William Robinson
23.7.1886 TOL to William Simpson Richards
17.12.1877 fined 20/- & costs refusing to admit the police
3.12.1883 fined 10/- & costs for Sunday trading

5.11.1869 JA63 CH&O Transfer of license from benjamin Freeman to John Beers

1909 Police Objection to license, but renewed by Justices

Spon P56 Up until about 1908 No87 was the Shamrock public house and I have found no earlier record than the 1851 Health Map. After the pub closed the main tenant was Adams - baker

1910 JA Circa 1910 closed and became Eastman's butchers and then a hardware shop. Demolished during WW2.

LICENSEES

1845 Kelly S. Brown

1850 CS Samuel Brown

1851 Census Samuel Brown 40 yo innkeeper & watch maker b Coventry m Maria, 38 & 1s, 1d

1861 Census Charles Freeman publican & coal dealer

1866 JA141 CS Joseph Nicholls

1866 JA141 CS Thomas Barnwell

1867 JA141 CS Thomas Barnwell

1867 JA141 CS Alfred Brown

1868 Buchanan A. Brown

23.11.1868 Lantern Alfred Brown

1869 JA63 CH&O Benjamin Freeman

1869 JA63 CH&O John Beers

1871 Census Amelia Beer 45 yo b Warwick m ? & 1d, 1 lodger

1874 C&B J. Beers
1878 LJ Vol 1 P50 Henry Edward Walter
1879 Stevens Edward H. Walter
1880 LJ Vol 1 P50 Henry Edward Walter
1880 LJ Vol 1 P50 William Robinson
1881 C&B W. Robinson

1886 C&B W. Robinson

1890/91 R&G W. Robinson

1893 Reporter W. Robinson

1894 R&G W. Robinson

1896 R&G William Robinson
1896 LJ Vol 1 P50 William Robinson
1896 LJ Vol 1 P50 William Simpson Richards
1898 LJ Vol 1 P50 William Simpson Richards
1903 R&G William S. Richards

1905 R&G William S. Richards

OWNERS

1878 LJ Vol 1 P50 Joseph Rigg, Well Street
later LJ Vol 1 P50 John Nutt, Fillongley
later LJ Vol 1 P50 Atkinsons Ltd, Aston, Birmingham
1898 LJ Vol 1 P50 Atkinsons Ltd, Aston, Birmingham

Website Content © 2016 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions.

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2016 Go Graphix.