title artwork
Here is what we think is the only comprehensive record of pubs and beerhouses within the Coventry city boundaries going back as far as available records allow. This is an ongoing project so contributions, corrections or additions to this archive, especially anecdotes, photos and media are most welcome. Feel free to contact us for a pint and a chat anytime.

The Sea Horse Tavern

photo

New Street c1912 (unknown) This view is looking from New Street towards Priory Street with the entrance into St. Michael’s Avenue on the opposite side. The spire of Holy Trinity Church can be seen over the roof. In 1955, New Street, which had mainly survived the bombing and still contained sixty-five buildings, mainly timber framed, was cleared to make way for the Polytechnic, now Coventry University.

NAME SEA HORSE TAVERN
ADDRESS 69 NEW STREET

This is a name that has been applied to the walrus, also to a fabulous creature that was supposed to have the fore parts of a horse and the tail of a fish as well as the familiar delicate little fish that swims vertically.

In 1870 Poole talks of a well sunk in 1654 near the back door of 'what is now the Sea Horse Tavern'.

In 1862 this pub belonged to the estate of the Free Grammar School It was leased to Mr. J. Harding for fourteen years for £21 per annum. The lease was due to expire in 1864. In 1872 the fixtures, fittings, etc were for sale and it ceased to be a tavern. The building was demolished in 1881 and the Dispensary was extended over the site.

Known Licensees are;
1841 - 1850 William Dillon
1851 - 1868 John Arden

Website Content © 2015 Real Ale Rambles. All rights reserved.
Credits and Copyrights for photos and images have been given where possible. We apologise for any omissions

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Graphics, 3D & Effects, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics logo

Website Design © 2015 Go Graphix.